HybridZ

ZR8ED 2 is now at home

ZR8ED

ZR8ED1and2.jpg

As you know, I have had my Z beast for more than 20 years, and have decided to move on to new projects. My wife and I have been quite envious of the convertable 350z's at some of our z club events, and began searching for convertables after falling in love with the new 370 roadsters this summer! We are not ready to move to a new 370ZR, but a nice 350ZR are quite plentiful and reasonably priced.

Now how did I end up with a Porsche? Well I was thinking of them after thoughts of an old Ferrari danced in my head. More affordable than a Ferrari, I have always loved Porsches, when another relative offered me a deal on a Porsche. This started me on researching P cars. While sourcing parts, pricing, problems/ how to's etc, I came across this convertable. Unfortunately it sold and its sale ad was removed. I was still deciding on my inlaws P car, hoping to sell my Z first, when a few weeks later, I stumbled across the ad for that same convertable! I jumped at it right away as it had a reduced price! Apparently the sale fell through after a deposit, and failure to pay/pick up the car. Armed with lots of new found knowledge of 944's, I checked out the car, and bought it right away, as there was a lineup to see the car.

A funny part to this story was they guy had other P cars, a Datsun 1600 roadster and a 280z sitting in his garage! He had also heard of my Z. It appears to be well known. hehehe

Kinda hard to see in this pic ( hey its winter and cold outsite), and the car is dirty from bringing it home, but anyone who knows Porsches, can see that it has a body kit, but what you can't see, is that it is modified under the hood, and has a customized interior, and mild suspension upgrades. It has 130,000 km's on it, and has zero rust that I can find, and I'm pretty good and finding rust.

This should make a pretty fun weekend toy to enjoy once I begin my next Z project. No I don't have another Z yet. I will not begin this until ZR8ED 1 is gone. Oh and the wife is pleased with the purchase, so this makes it a great deal!

Damn Scott..what kind of 944 is that?

Weird '80s bodykit, does not even have a factory fabric roof and Fuchs..I do not believe the cabrio cars came fitted with Fuchs.

What is under the hood? 8V, 16V, 25L, 2.7L, 3.0L...turbo, N/A?

Waiting baited breath for more pics.

Yasin

Yasin:

Well it is an 86 with the 8valve 2.5L and 130K on it, and according to my records that came with the car and the owner history, it was purchased by a conversion company in Aurora in 1987. It had the convertable conversion, a body kit, white face guages, sport wheel, short shifter, and some minor engine/suspension mods done. I am not sure about the 16" fusch's, but they are 16x7 and 16x8. I just put on BFG supersports for the safety inspection.

I am going to clean it up a bit, and just enjoy it. It should be a lot of fun while I work on my next Z project. No I have not started on that one yet.

Well the V8 converted guys sure don't get any love on the Porsche forums. They too have been exiled to their own little corners of internet...Just like us. Even my car is considered a bit of a bastard child. Oh well I'm used to running outside the pack...like a big nasty T Rex

Hehehe.

But seriously. I've no intentions of modding the Porsche...well unless I need to replace something. I want to just enjoy this car, while I setup for my new Z. I really just want to get rid of the beastly one, so I can attack my next project. The new Z's condition/mods will determine some of the direction of the project, but to sum it up, it will not be some highstrung monster. I will be trying to find a nice balance of hp/tqe weight distribution, handling, smoothness and reliabilty, in a totally streetable package. Big order? a bit, but I have 20+ years of Z experience, and Hybridz.org has got my back. I know I can do it.

Can't wait to begin.

Now someone buy my car.

• Like 1

That is funny that you mention that. I am going to a Porsche parts recycler on Sat morning to pic up a few things, and I saw on their website, they have a warhouse full of various complete running engines from 911, 914, 912, 924, 944, 928, etc etc. Lots of cool seats that MAY fit nicely in a particular widebody 280z. I Just won't mention that they may go into a lowly Datsun! bwahaha.

For fun I may price out an engine or two, but I shudder to think what they may cost. For comparisons and humors sake, I found that a new factory exhaust for my 944 is about $6K from a dealer! I have a beautiful ss exhaust on my 280 that cost me under a grand. Hand built no less.

I am quickly finding these P dudes are even more purist that many of the Z "purists" I know. Sheesh...

Yasin:

Ok. So I have another pic of the car. I have had the car in and out of shops lately getting it ready for spring, so I have hardly seen the car lately. Here is a rear shot that shows the body kit a bit better. I promise that "I" will take my own pics as soon as reasonable...maybe a pic of my new exhaust too!

944ragtop.jpg

Scott, check out http://www.pelicanparts.com

I've used them a lot for OEM BMW parts, and they are a great resource for the bimmers. I have no Porsche experience with them, but I would expect if they are consistent you'll be happy dealing with them as well.

ie: Fabspeed Stainless Steel 944 Turbo Complete Catback system w/ muffler (3.0") - $795

FAB-944-EX3.jpg

Edited by Drax240z

Scott - That rear shot looks better, but see that gap between the bottom of the lights and the top of the rear apron...that bugs me..on a Datsun..on a Porsche does not matter. I would be interested to see the car with the top down and folded away...

BTW...I have bought parts from Pelican for 5years, they are awesome and have THE best Porsche forum for 911 (cannot comment on 944)!!

Yasin