260DET

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh, pistons have a ceramic coating on top. Pic below shows the front of the modified block done so a VG30DE/DETT oil pump can be fitted. The two shiny M6 studs in the middle with a new flange area built up using liquid metal are required to mount and seal the pump against the new gasket, the two redundant holes underneath the studs show where the original oil pump used to mount. Big stud on the left is a longer VG30DE/DETT item for the cam belt tensioner pulley.

281r32h.jpg

Edited by 260DET

Building it up with real metal is not practical so I was told, seeing that the new part is under compression when bolted up and the new studs were tapped into the block underneath it should not be a problem. The darker part above is the dam made with Selleys Kneadit, when that hardened Pro Weld was moulded into the void to make the new flange. It has a temp rating of up to 150 celcius and the block has been hot tubbed since so I'm confident.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Previously mentioned that Schneider double valve springs were being used, that has changed. JWT springs were fitted after I found out that the seat pressure of the Schneider springs was nearly double that of stock while the JWT springs are up by ~20% which should be plenty. It's counterproductive to use springs that are heavier than absolutely necessary, besides the springs and cams are now matched JWT items.

JE pistons are on order to replace the junk ones, be a few weeks before they arrive so I'm starting work on fabricated exhaust manifolds using buttweld fittings, pics in due course. Meanwhile pics below of a stock left side manifold adapted to fit a Tial wastegate and the twin scroll/divided housing GT35R turbocharger to suit.

29vnmki.jpg

vnhu1j.jpg

Very interested in your manifold design. I was making mine out of 1-1/2" SCH10, then realized that 1-1/4 would be much better. So, back to the drawing board. I'm planning on a 3-1 design on each side. The "1" being 2" SCH10.

But I have midterms coming up so I haven't touched it in a couple weeks.

Very interested in your manifold design. I was making mine out of 1-1/2" SCH10, then realized that 1-1/4 would be much better. So, back to the drawing board. I'm planning on a 3-1 design on each side. The "1" being 2" SCH10.

But I have midterms coming up so I haven't touched it in a couple weeks.

My problem is that the left manifold has to be designed using the stock turbo location so its all very cramped :( I actually like the stock design VG30ET manifolds, the new ones are being made simply as spares in case the stock ones crack. Am using SCH 40 1.5" right through, that's about the same as stock. A higher priority for me would be to have a full 4" exhaust but a 4" dump and 3" exhaust will have to do for now. Why do you think 1.25" manifolds, which is smaller than stock, would be better?

Edited by 260DET

The OD of 1-1/4 fits right in the flanges I have, and the resulting ID matches the exhaust port diameter, almost exactly. A little port too match and some polish, and it would be perfect. What size are the VG33 exhaust ports? I thought they were the same as the VG30.

• 2 weeks later...

JE pistons, to replace the crap brand ones, have arrived and look very nice. Particularly like the crown design which mimics the stock shape and should work well with the combustion chamber shape. Have also ordered a Garrett GTX3582R turbo, seeing everything has been delayed so much and the turbo can't be changed without lifting the engine now is a good time to do that. It comes without a turbine housing, the new twin scroll/divided housing I already have will be used on it and I'll sell the present GT3582R which has done little work.

k1w21x.jpg