HybridZ

Anyone interested in Ford Mustardo?

auxilary

Guest Rolling Parts

The dimensions of the chassis seem way off for such a switch. Handling must surely suffer with such an aft weight shift of both engine and transmission to the back seat?

EDIT: Is it just me or do others see the letters "tard" and automatically think less of the effort?

Who cares what you call it? That is one impressive work of fabrication. Props to the guy who fit a V10 Lambo mill into the back seat of a Mustang, eh?

And as far as weight distribution and handling go, it's not like those cars handle all that well in the stock configuration.

Who cares what you call it? That is one impressive work of fabrication. Props to the guy who fit a V10 Lambo mill into the back seat of a Mustang, eh?

And as far as weight distribution and handling go, it's not like those cars handle all that well in the stock configuration.

Agreed.

But I think he's still probably going to end up with a heavier mustang for what is probably going to run about as much as a lambo and be make-confused.

To each his own though.

In stock configuration, they can outhandle a 240z. According to one of hte latest C&D mags, mustang gt on par with nismo 370z. And until the nismo's brakes failed and it went into the wall

Agreed. Newer Mustangs aren't the Fox bodies from the 80's and 90's any more. Even the Fox bodies can be made to handle pretty good with some mods, and it's not like the Z car was that great a performer out of the box, right? If we are honest about it, we are all reading Hybrid Z because the stock car kinda sucked...

Guest Rolling Parts
..If we are honest about it, we are all reading Hybrid Z because the stock car kinda sucked...

To be honest, the stock 70's Z cars did VERY WELL when compared to the stock 70's Mustangs (weight, reliability, cost, performance, handling). The problem now is that the newest Mustang has actually matured into a damn fine car. I'm not sure that adding a heavier engine with transmission into the back of the car with IMPROVE anything (as far as weight, reliability, cost, performance, handling).

It just seems like a looser on all fronts. It's a fine engineering exercise, but my question is does it DO anything to improve the car? That's the real reason I'm reading HybridZ. :icon6:

EDIT: I just saw that it's for sale. Though speaking of stock, if I wanted a 500HP rear engine Ford I'd rather go for the Ford GT...

Don't know if you guys read the specs on the NEW 2011 mustang v6 and GT coming up, but the v6 is going to be a 3.7 dohc v6, 305hp, and the GT will have a 5.0 (actual 5.0, not 4.9) v8, making 412hp with 6500rpm redline, while weighing 15 lbs more than the current 4.6 v8 engine.

To be honest, the stock 70's Z cars did VERY WELL when compared to the stock 70's Mustangs (weight, reliability, cost, performance, handling).

True, but what is that really saying? It ain't 1975 anymore. A new V6 Camry would smoke a new 240/260/280Z in every category if you could use a time machine to transport one back to the 70s. We're here because they need help, not because they were the penultimate car design.

Guest Rolling Parts
True, but what is that really saying?

I'm saying that the year is now 2010 that 500hp is no big deal in a street car. I'm also asking about what happens when you make a massive weight transferred rearward without changing the proportions of the chassis. The word "why" comes to mind if you wanted more power or better handling. It seems like a step in the wrong direction from a technical point of view.

I fail to see how it's significantly different from any other mid-engine design. The engine is in front of the transaxle which places the weight between the rear and front axle lines. The other stuff from the rear such as fuel tank was obviously moved to the front adding weight over the front wheels. So now the weight distribution is rear biased instead of front, seems to me it's good idea.

I love this comment:

I remember watching a show about a Superbird losing braking and handling matches to a toyota minivan loaded with cheerleaders

Guest Rolling Parts
I fail to see how it's significantly different from any other mid-engine design. :

To help visualize it:

Imagine a Mustang with a pair of 250 pound passengers squished into the rear seat but then remove the engine and transmission from the front of the car. That's what you have here.

lets see-it looks like the whole lambo suspension-drivetrain are being xplanted.the lambo rear shocks/springs probably run 2.5" coils springs like race shocks do.if you switch the front struts out to some high quality coil over set up (no problem on this car)you can easily balence the car with the correct spring rates.i see nothing but improvent for this car if enough money and time are spent.