HybridZ

70 240-z hls30-14392

Well, instead of starting this when I got the car, I decided to wait...then I waited some more. Fast forward 10+ years and I still have not posted any sort of progress thread on this project. I guess you could say that it has not been a project at all, but a continuing endeavor to improve the car and stay in a SCCA Auto-X class, and be competitive.

It all started in May 1998, my bride to be decided to replace the 72 240-Z I sold (to buy the rings) with a "new" 240-Z.

71240ZNICOLE_thumb.JPG

71240ZRUSS_thumb.JPG

The first mods we did were basic....Stripped the tinting, lowering springs, new shocks, Air Dam, 6-1 Header, Z-therapy Carbs, 5-speed, Panasports, and swaybars. We had shipped it to Italy with us, and I started Autocrossing with the Aviano Air Base Sports Car Club.

1STONSCENE_thumb.JPG

AUTOX1_thumb.JPG

AUTOXOOPS_thumb.JPG

suitinup_thumb.JPG

While stationed in Italy, We did a refresh of the body to repair some hail damage. The shop chose a beautiful Sikkens Ferrari Red for the paint. They really did a wonderful job on the car....who better to work on a 30yo sports car but a buch of Italian car nuts..:icon6: We had also installed some Momo seats and I had Sunbelt build a head for me....what a pin that was getting from Atlanta to Venice with that in my luggage..customs are :ass:, anyway we did a stock rebuild on the 2.4L and brought it home.

We returned to the States in 2002...some pictures at Datsun Dynamics winter 02-03

These photos are courtesy of S30TRBO

buckseng_thumb.jpg

buckseng-2_thumb.jpg

bucksext_thumb.jpg

bucksext-2_thumb.jpg

bucksext-3_thumb.jpg

bucksext-4_thumb.jpg

bucksext-5_thumb.jpg

bucksext-6_thumb.jpg

bucksint_thumb.jpg

bucksint-2_thumb.jpg

bucksint-3_thumb.jpg

Moving back to the states meant a local Z support network, which meant more upgrades....we replaced the 2.4L with a 2.8L, using the same Sunbelt head, but now with a stage 1 port job, and a custom Isky Cam....also installed the PDK Fabrication Strut tie bars, and GC Coil-overs...upgraded the trans to a late ZX close ratio 5 speed, and a 3.5 diff. Also added was the Trip Weber package 40DCOE18...made in Italy Baby :mrgreen:. We also did the Honda blower upgrade as well as the Headlight Relay Kit from Dave

DSCF0011_thumb.JPG

DSCF0012_thumb.JPG

DSCF0009_thumb.JPG

DSCF0008_thumb.JPG

DSCF0014_thumb.JPG

DSCF0015_thumb.JPG

DSCF0016_thumb.JPG

DSCF0018_thumb.JPG

In 2006, we were forced to move again...this time to Las Vegas, which meant I would be able to go the The MSA West Coast Nationals....:mrgreen:

I continued to Auto-X and show the car, and of course more mods followed suit. We installed a 4.11 rear from a 200sx, thanks to John for the stub axles. Installed a new Jet Hot coated Pacesetter Header direct from them, and upgraded to a Jacobs ignition unit...the MSD finally failed. :fmad:. Also installed Wolf Creek Racing's CV kit, and Modern Motorsport vented brake kit.

I also finished the install of the PDK front strut bar

DSCF0275_thumb.JPG

DSCF0299_thumb.JPG

DSCF0301_thumb.JPG

20765_thumb.attach

By winter of 08-09, I had had enough....it was time to replace the rear quarters that I should have let the guys in Italy do back in 2000. The trick was gonna be to do it, and match the paint so nobody would be able to tell, I was fast running out of time...MSA was coming up quickly and I wanted the trophy for best Race-Prep car this year and not 2nd like in 08.

Datsun Repair 2008 007_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 008_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 009_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 010_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 011_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 013_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 014_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 015_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 026_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 027_thumb.jpg

Datsun Repair 2008 036_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this - it's nice to see the progression over time.

I'm curious about the PDK strut bars. I remember when they showed up a few years ago that there was some discussion about anchoring them to the firewall which doesn't have much reinforcement. The thought was that over time the constant flexing would fatigue or otherwise damage it. Seeing as you've had yours on for some time and you obviously don't "baby the car" :), how are those mount points holding up?

Also, did you notice a difference when you later added the strut tie bars?

Thanks for posting this - it's nice to see the progression over time.

I'm curious about the PDK strut bars. I remember when they showed up a few years ago that there was some discussion about anchoring them to the firewall which doesn't have much reinforcement. The thought was that over time the constant flexing would fatigue or otherwise damage it. Seeing as you've had yours on for some time and you obviously don't "baby the car" smile.gif, how are those mount points holding up?

Also, did you notice a difference when you later added the strut tie bars?

I have not noticed any fatigue or damage, but after reading many threads on the subject, I am looking to beef up the mounting points by adding some more metal on both sides, and building a triangle bracket from the firewall lip to the ledge (under the cowl panel). As far as the down bars go, I dont know if they made that big of a difference...I am only running 175lb spings up front...the big advantage was providing a much more stout mounting point for the front sway bar. I am kinda in a pickle 'cause i want a stiffer car, but dont want to install a full cage...I still drive it on the street....so all I have right now is a nice roll bar in the rear, and the PDK up front. I was thinking of having my roll bar modified to allow the install of a door bar that goes from the down bar to the firewall...Johnc, you have seen my roll bar in person, what do you think about that mod?

RollBar.jpg

RBMount.jpg