HybridZ

turbo rebuilding

roger.svoboda

Evergreen Turbo Co., all my svo and assorted turbo ford friends swear by them, and you can look on a certain site (i won't say the name, they kinda pissed me off) and its the only turbo rebuilder they reccomend. I think the last rebuild i qouted was 350 for a stock garret t3 at $350.

I used Gpopshop.com to get my hybrid built. They did an outstanding job. I sent them two stock T3 cores, both blown, and they tried as hard as possible to reuse parts from them rather than charging me for new. The shipped cost of my hybrid ended up being about $550.

I would highly recommend these guys. They have competitive prices, and Jim and Gerry really know their stuff! They surpassed my expectations and added things I hadn't even considered before (watercooling, anyone?). I can't give you a 'running' assessment, since I just got my rebuilt engine back in the car last weekend, and the front suspension is off, but soon. Soon.

IMAGE_039Small.jpg

More pictures here: http://ss.vix.com/~corey/Hybrid%20Turbo

For anyone that's wondering ;)

Nissan T3/T4 Turbo

T04B Compressor Housing .70AR

"H" trim Compressor Wheel

Nissan .63 Turbine Housing with wastegate assembly

Stage 1 turbine wheel

If you do contact these guys for a quote, tell 'em Corey Vixie sent you. They definitely remember me, since I bug them about once a week over something else. (Again, excellent customer service. :) )

Their site lists a basic rebuild at about $350, and they're definitely worth it. as you can see, everything was cleaned thoroughly and coated with the good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm definitely looking at calling gpopshop this week after seeing these comments. But Ineptitude01 did I understand correctly that you sent them two blown t3's and they returned a t3/t4 for ya?

That sounds like a killer deal for 550 shipped.

I have a TB03 from an older volvo in damn good condition, but would rather have it rebuilt just to be sure of what's in it. If I'm already spending the 350 to do a basic rebuild, I'm wondering the cost of upgrading that little sucker since it's already shipped.

Any thoughts on me bumping up to a t3/t4 before I talk to these guys? I've done the research on how the hybrid plays in performance, but with my power goals in mind, it might be worth the extra cash.

Definitely check out Ebay for turbo rebuild kits. You can find really good kits for about 70-100 bucks. This was the route I was going to take, but after watching a couple videos of the actual rebuild process and how well the shops clean them up, I might save my headaches for another project and just have the turbo rebuilt by a shop.

Do your research on the rebuild. I'm really emphatic about doing all my own work, but a turbo is a little too expensive and delicate for me to tinker with.

Plus these shops do it all the time! I figure there's no better way to help the economy than giving my tax refund to someone else for their work! :lol: