HybridZ

Noisey CLSD's?

lgoodson@pacbell.net

I had some one today tell me that CLSD diff were noisey. They clank going around corners. Is the true or not???

I just bought one for my 240Z and would like to know before I install it.

By the way, what axles should be used and why?? I now the Z31 turbo CV's but which other ones would work with out binding?

Thanks,

Larry

Before mine was broken in, it growled at slow speeds while turning, such as in parking lots. Following advice from here, I did a lot of figure eights in a parking lot (late at night of course) and mostly solved it. It still clunks occasionally when I let off during a sharp turn, such as to shift, but for the most part it's transparent.

There is always some slop between the pressure plates and the cross/pin. So yes, CLSDs are prone to more slop and noise.

All sorts of things can exacerbate noise or slop...like low ramp angles, low clutchpack preload, spider/side gear lash, overall diff-case design.

When I first put 300ZX CLSD in it was very quiet. But it didn't take long before it would chatter on slow turns, like taking off while turning. I was told to add some friction modifier. I got mine at the local Chevy dealer but it really doesn't matter where you get it, its NOT expensive. It solved the problem. BTW the Lucas diff oil I used was supposed to have friction modifier in it, apparently not enough.

As far as axles I am using 280ZX. They do require the companion flanges to be modified from MM.

I had some one today tell me that CLSD diff were noisey. They clank going around corners. Is the true or not???

I just bought one for my 240Z and would like to know before I install it.

By the way, what axles should be used and why?? I now the Z31 turbo CV's but which other ones would work with out binding?

Thanks,

Larry

Deja, do you have a "bottoming out" problem that Jon Mortenson talks about in his article. My Z has been lowered so the axles are more level with the ground while at rest. Does your axles conflict with the sway bar hangers, I believe that is what gets in the way.

It's not the sway bar that the halfshaft bottoms on. It's that the halfshaft compresses until it can't compress anymore, and the suspension isn't all the way compressed. So the halfshaft then acts like a bumpstop in the suspension. Once you hit it, the force of the suspension trying to compress actually goes through the halfshaft to the differential itself.

Search for username "mayolives" and "CV bottoming". He had this issue even with the CV's, and I think he was pretty sure that it wiped out his limited slip. His car runs VERY low. IIRC, others posted about similar issues on that same thread.

I'm not running a rear sway bar, took it off because it hit the JTR diff adapter. As far as the axles go I thought that was only a problem with the 300zx CV's. I haven't heard anything that sounds like my 280zx axles are bottoming out. But I don't race the car except for the occasional drag race.

Deja, do you have a "bottoming out" problem that Jon Mortenson talks about in his article. My Z has been lowered so the axles are more level with the ground while at rest. Does your axles conflict with the sway bar hangers, I believe that is what gets in the way.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There will not be any binding issues with the 280zxt halfshafts. If you installed them incorrectly, you will know it. One side is longer than the other side halfshaft. Any differential should make some noise. No minor clunking is a bad thing. As Bjhines said, you want some play in the diff, but only a small amount. With the clutch diff's there is more noise because of the locking. All diff's hum at speed. Also, another thing to check is make sure your halfshaft bolts (the small 8mm ones that connect to your pinion flanges) are tight. I have a spool rear end and because it constantly puts so much torque on the halfshafts it will loosing up those bolts every so often and I have to watch it closely. That is how I broke a cv... loose bolts and not knowing it.

New or very old/used clsd's will be noisier. Just a given.

Hope that helps.