HybridZ

Truth on L6 Oil Pumps

EvilC

Newbie is back with another thread:

I have been researching and reading and talking to a few people and still I don't know the truth! :ass:

Two good threads I found here were these:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128001&highlight=oil+pump&page=2

&

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=150165&highlight=oil+pump

So where is my problem? From what I understand the standard L6 oil pump and Turbo oil pump (auto) are the same except for shaft length and springs.I always thought the auto turbo pump came with one of the Nissan Comp oil springs. So basically, stock pumps came with stock springs....turbo manually pump comes with?......turbo auto pump is one Nissan comp spring and longer shaft?

My problem is, I have a set of Nissan comp oil pump springs....so do I just try and find an auto turbo oil pump used, try to find one new and hope I do not get a manual one (rockauto and such have them listed as the same part), order a turbo oil pump and just swap out to my two springs or spent the money and buy http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC16/17-8032

because it already has the "Comp springs" and longer "shaft"...which I can not verify. This oil pump is for my 3 liter build and I am just going through threads about oil pressure at idle and during load.

Thanks for any input guyz.

The turbo pump does not have the comp springs, it just has the larger pump to deliver more volume. I ran the turbo pump that I bought new from AZC. I then added comp springs. With both comp springs it would peg my pressure gauge when cold, so I ended up just running one comp spring and one regular, sorry can't remember if the inner or outer was the comp spring but I don't think it really matters. If you're running an oil cooler you might need the springs, if not the turbo pump should do fine, I suspect.

I wouldn't buy a used oil pump. They're not that expensive.

Jon, you are correct. The used pump isn't really an option....I stated that because I saw it somewhere. I was told by someone else, they ran one comp spring, one stock spring on the turbo pump and they were fine. I will think about running the oil cooler and might run a Nissan Comp oil pan. The fact that this car will not be tracked like the v8, it all might be over kill. Thanks Jon for the input.

You could just get a KA24E pump. That's what I'm running and IIRC it's the same as the turbo pump (when I pulled it apart the barrel lengths were the same). You could then just put the comp springs in as I did.

Do you have a part number for the KA24E pump ?

Nigel

The pump and gasket are the same number as the L28 pump...

It's the same pump.

It's why aftermarket, the 'turbo auto' pump is still readily available, and CHEAPER than a standard N/A pump... it's the one still in current production!

The pump and gasket are the same number as the L28 pump...

It's the same pump.

It's why aftermarket, the 'turbo auto' pump is still readily available, and CHEAPER than a standard N/A pump... it's the one still in current production!

In Australia ?

I tried to buy a Nissan turbo pump (83 Auto I believe), from a part number I had, the number superseded to another number, which turned out to be a normal N/A pump.

Nigel

MAYBE in Aussie, but not in NZ, and given the grumbles in the OZDat build page, unlikely in Aussie. Otherwise he would have been using a RWD plenum instead of having to adapt the FWD plenum from a sedan.

Remember NZ and Aussie, and most places around the world, have FAR better diesel grades than US diesel. US trucking diesel until a few years back with the clean air acts and low sulphur act, would barely make the grade as light merchant marine fuel oil. NZ and Aussie got diesel utes where the US had petrol pickups.

edit, I found 1, only one, reference to KA24 in a navara in Aussie on googles furst couple of pages, a Ebay.com.au auction for a gasket set for KA24 navaras, the rest were for south africa, or general references about the trucks. KA24 and frontier brings up LOTS of KA24 Navaras in the US under the different name.

To dispel all the confusion regarding the stock turbo, turbo automatic, and standard pumps.

The standard pump is a 35mm pump gear. The turbo, turbo automatic pumps have the 40mm pump gear.

I have never looked into the KA pump personally, but it is suppose to be the same as the turbo pump.

The other differences are the springs, no problem; you don't need to go to all of the trouble of sourcing new springs, just shim the current springs in the pump with a spacer to compress the spring more. A piece of sheet stock cut to fit in the spring cap works out very well. I think I used about a .100 thick piece of steel to shim the springs.

Now if you have exhausted all of your options, there is one other source for pumps. Millings oil pumps are an excellent replacement with benefits.

The standard pump is the M105 pump (35mm gear)

The turbo/auto pump is the M111 pump (40mm gear)

The housings are cast iron, so they can be easily blue printed to improve the idle oil pressure. Either way, the oil pressure @ idle will be low, typically 10psi. I blue printed the pump and was able to increase the pressure to 15psi @ idle. Good enough for me.

The millings part is about $75-80 USD and are readily available here in the US. I would suppose with this global market you should be able to source them in your country as well.

So that is just one step in the quest for good oiling for the L28, now to the oil pan improvements for cornering and road race conditions right Tony?

It suffices to say you would really work an accusump setup on a bone stock oil delivery system for the L28.

always check the rotor to lid clearance on the melling pumps before you use them. They have a habit of making them too tight which causes lots of extra drag which eats up the drive gear on the crank which fills the oil with metal which kills the engine bearings.

simple to fix by hand sanding a little off the tops of the rotors.