HybridZ

l28et rebuild parts

pcakes55

Rockauto.com was the only place I could really find almost all the parts necessary for a rebuild, and at a decent price it seems. Is there anywhere else someone knows of?

maybe even a place that sells a kit? I have found an old thread about a kit, but maybe some more up to date info is out there and has not been posted yet.

Rock Auto is a good one. What can't you find?

I have never seen a complete rebuild kit for an L series. I've always bought the parts separately.

Norther Auto Parts is a good source:

FULL GASKET SET 09-00521 $65.66

Connecting Rod Bearing 6-67230CP $22.68

MAIN BEARING SET 7M1172-10 $39.52

PISTON & RING RY2700 $207.30

OIL PUMP 057-160 $49.89

TIMING KIT 9-4134SA $87.05

I looked these up for an 83 280ZX.

I'm in Windham, NH, let me know if I can help. I have a bunch of engine parts you might be able to use.

Yes, with a few exceptions:

- Cheap cork valve cover gaskets aren't worth anything. Get an Nissan or FelPro multi-layer one.

- Cork oil pan gaskets are OK but there are multi-layer versions out there that are much better.

I've had good luck with aftermarket head gaskets. Anything made by ITM, Ishino (OEM), Rock Gasket, are pretty good. Nissan is always your best bet, but cost the most.

Everything else including main and timing cover seals work fine from aftermarket sets. Same with valve seals, no problems that I have encountered.

I bought my pistons from this guy, he was very helpful and shipped quickly:

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page278.html#1259

And there is also Top-End Performance which sells a lot of stuff and should have or sell most anything needed for an L-series rebuild:

http://www.racetep.com/zturboeng.html

http://www.racetep.com/z510card.html

A kit yes, cheap....hell no

Check out top end performance. Their website has full rebuild kits for like $2000 for all the parts IIRC. That might have been a winter special kit thing though. came with pistons, bearing, rings, metal head gasket, other gaskets and some other stuff.

*edit* didn't read the post 2 above. my bad

provided you have a fresh motor (low mileage) you could reuse rods and pistons.

thats what im planning on doing, just getting the gaskets, bearings and cleaning it all up

I re-used my rods, cleaned them up like crazy, new Clevite bearings and ARP rod bolts.

When I had my new pistons pressed onto the used rods at the machine shop I had them balance the rods and pistons, deburr them, check the new bearings fitment and press in the ARP hardware.

I didn't buy a rebuild "kit". I sourced everything for the best prices from many different places:

-Crank & rod bearings from RockAuto

-Perfect Circle (clevite) piston rings from ebay

-new cast dished pistons from PartsDinosaur.com

-ARP head studs & rod bolts from SummitRacing

-Maxima diesel main bolts from Courtesyparts

-all gaskets locally

-new timing chain kit from ebay

-oil pump gasket & springs from MSA

-hardware for the oil pan & valve cover from McMaster Carr

-hardware for the timing cover from http://www.zcarcreations.com/

-CSR electric water pump used from someone on HybridZ.

I think total for all of the above excluding the electric water pump I paid about $900-$950 or so, not including the machine shop work.

For the machine shop I took them my P90A head and had them check it for any problems and mill both the bottom and the intake/exhaust side for gasket surfaces. The machine shop also pressed on my pistons to my rods and balanced them each. For that work it cost me $155.

I didn't take the block or crank to the machine shop. I checked the crank myself (it was within FSM specs) and cleaned it. I cleaned and slightly deburred the inside of the block myself. The cylinders were in good shape with factory hone marks still visible so I checked the bores and they were within spec. Bought & used a Flex-Hone for $50 and honed the block myself. I cleaned the deck and sanded it for a gasket surface starting with 320grit and moving up to 2500grit to a near mirror shine that was dead flat.

• 2 months later...

If anyone still needs a rebuild kit, check out www.rpmrons.com. He has full rebuild kits for the L28 series engines, as well as many others. He seems willing to mix-and-match, and add/delete to his rebuild packages as necessary.