HybridZ

HY35 - 350hp

jacob80

Hey guys,

Yes, I have read through the sticky, but have not been able to pin point mu answer to my question. I've just acquired an HY35 and an 82L28et in which will both be rebuilt with ceramic coatings. Right now, I'm looking at my wastegate options, which leads me to my questions:

1. Is it possible to utilize the stock internal wastegate with an aftermarket actuator, or will I experience too much boost creep to obtain a target boost level?

2. If external wastegate, I will need to have the internal wastegate welded shut, correct?

3. As far as having an external wastegate installed, i am worried about cracking welds. What is the best way to approach this? What I had in mind is taking my exhaust manifold and turbo to a shop, have them drill out a hole, wd on the flange, and the. Take the manifold and have it ceramic coated and then follow up by wrapping the manifold with headerwrap. What are your opinions?

4. As far as oil feed/drain flanges, will standard T3 flanges with an male ports bolt up, or will I need a different solution? I would like to go AN with the fittings, as well as being worried about the stock oil feed line diameter. Also, where/how can I adapt to an AN line as far as pulling oil from the block? Could I drill out the stock oil feed port on the distribution block and re-tap it, or is there not enough meat on there?

5. Will I experience any kind of boost surge with this turbo? I'm having the head rebuild, but prefer not to port it out, I'm not even sure it would be necessary

Thanks guys!

go externally gated, i've done the external conversion on more manifolds than i can count, never had a single crack yet. it's all about the welder knowing what they are doing.

you will have to have the exhaust housing stock wg puck welded shut yes.

you can ceramic, wrap, or any combination there of once the manifolds been properly converted to external gate.

for oiling, you will need an assortment of fittings to make up the oil feed line, the stock ZXT return tube can be utilized with a new piece of hose briding the gap between that pipe and the pan.

power wise, i personally have pushed that turbo on one of our external conversion manifolds to over 416hp so far, no surging issues.

My only concern with running that turbo is that it was designed for a deisel engine. There have been numerous acounts here of people cooking their oil seals due to the design and materials used in the turbo. Do it right the first time and save yourself some money. 1 Turbo costs less than buying 2.

I would also hesitate to wrap and ceramicoat the mannifold. I say this because I have heard horror stories of TOO MUCH heat being held inside the mannifold.

I tore apart my turbo a few months ago as i thought it was leaking oil a bit to throw in a rebuild kit. It was actually in really good shape. No cooked seals or anything. And i wasnt nice to the turbo at all. No turbo timer or anything and i thought i had come in boosting and turned the car off quickly with out letting it idle. I must of been wrong ...

My only concern with running that turbo is that it was designed for a deisel engine. There have been numerous acounts here of people cooking their oil seals due to the design and materials used in the turbo. Do it right the first time and save yourself some money. 1 Turbo costs less than buying 2.

I would also hesitate to wrap and ceramicoat the mannifold. I say this because I have heard horror stories of TOO MUCH heat being held inside the mannifold.

hogwash. "hearing" is one thing, doing is another. i've done... repeatedly. i've hit 275-416 and everything inbetween. all on 93, all on less than 20psi.

the holset will get the job done, especially for that power level. depending how aggressive his timing is, stock cam/p90 head, he should hit 350ish around 15psi on very conservative timing and fat AFR's.

lower PSI if he leans it out and gives it a few degree's, but the holsets are happier around 15psi on the 2.8's, 10psi they are spinning to slow.

So the stock turbo drain tube will bolt up?? Perfect! as far as oil feed what is your setup?are you using the stock oil feed? What fittings are necessary?

yes, it will bolt up. for feed, if memory serves me right, it goes from block to turbo in this order, 1/8" bsp to 1/8" npt adapt, 1/8" npt splitter, 1/8" .060 oil restrictor, 1/8" npt to -4an adapter, 48" -4 an line w/ str & 90* ends, 90* -4 an swivel fitting, -4 to holset inlet thread adapter (thread pitch is posted around here somewhere)

then optional is heat sleeving the entire assembly on the manifold nearing section.

That's good to hear! On the DSM forums, they're saying they're making 550hp and have said nothing about smoking turbos as far as I've read. So as far as this install, I'll weld the puck shut and go external, that's fine. I have never really looked at external gates, but what would be an appropriate one for 350-400hp with this specific turbo?

i suggest getting Tials new 38mm MVS series wastegate, has the same trick v-band setup from there 60mm series, and it will be more that sufficient at flowing that turbo to the power levels you need.

I'm a factory direct distributor for Tial if you end up deciding to go with one. I distribute there entire product line.

That's awesome, could I buy directly from you when the time comes? As far as the compressor housing on the HY35, the actuator mosnt is actually cast into the housing. Could I grind this piece down and make it look pretty? I don't see the use for it. Also, would you be willing to weld a flange piece on if the manifold was sent to you? I feel confident with you doing it of anyone. I will be rebuilding the turbo and having g pop shop balance my wheels with my bearings as well ad ceramic coating the center section and turbine housing.

You can ship the manifold to us and we can do the modifications here yes. We've done it for people before, we just tuck the wastegate up as tight as we can on our mock up motor. We keep at least 3-4 MVS wastegates on the shelf most of the time, if you want one of their more oddball colors i'd need to know ahead of time to order it. Right now i have black, red, and silver on the shelf as far as colors go.

For the downpipe, i've done either way, i've ultilized the stock exhaust elbow and then gone custom from there, i've converted the back of the exhaust housing and done custom from the get go too. I personally prefer to convert the exhaust housing at the time the wastegate puck gets welded shut then go custom. The downpipe weighs less in the end without that cast piece on the beginning, it fits better, it looks better, and it can be done in 100% 304 stainless which is great for keeping it looking great and living a long time.

converted_exhaust_housing.jpg

dp_from_scratch.jpg

modded_holset_elbow.jpg

I believe in the book "Maximum Boost" it talks about manifold coatings and insulation. If I remember correctley, he states that coating the manifold and adding the wrap on top of that can cause damage to your manifold.

As far as cooking the oil seals, thats just what I've heard. But you do see PLENTY of people on this site having great success running the HY turbos and making some very impressive numbers.

You can ship the manifold to us and we can do the modifications here yes. We've done it for people before, we just tuck the wastegate up as tight as we can on our mock up motor. We keep at least 3-4 MVS wastegates on the shelf most of the time, if you want one of their more oddball colors i'd need to know ahead of time to order it. Right now i have black, red, and silver on the shelf as far as colors go.

For the downpipe, i've done either way, i've ultilized the stock exhaust elbow and then gone custom from there, i've converted the back of the exhaust housing and done custom from the get go too. I personally prefer to convert the exhaust housing at the time the wastegate puck gets welded shut then go custom. The downpipe weighs less in the end without that cast piece on the beginning, it fits better, it looks better, and it can be done in 100% 304 stainless which is great for keeping it looking great and living a long time.

converted_exhaust_housing.jpg

dp_from_scratch.jpg

modded_holset_elbow.jpg

Wow, that is exactly what I'm wanting! Perhaps you could do the puck, manifold, and downpipe for me? I'm not sure what your services consist of, but that woul be simply awesome! Where are you stuffing that big 4 inch intake tube? Looks great!

I believe in the book "Maximum Boost" it talks about manifold coatings and insulation. If I remember correctley, he states that coating the manifold and adding the wrap on top of that can cause damage to your manifold.

As far as cooking the oil seals, thats just what I've heard. But you do see PLENTY of people on this site having great success running the HY turbos and making some very impressive numbers.

and the author of that book is a hell of a smart guy. but i've also seen some of the parts he uses and they have obvious design limitations. the books full of fantastic ideas, but not everything in there is god.

no cracked welds, engine bay temps a good 30 degrees lower or better (going off handomometer on that one), and a turbo that kicked in 300rpm sooner post coating. yes please.

Wow, that is exactly what I'm wanting! Perhaps you could do the puck, manifold, and downpipe for me? I'm not sure what your services consist of, but that woul be simply awesome! Where are you stuffing that big 4 inch intake tube? Looks great!

we can do that, i'd have to build the downpipe on a mock up car to ensure fitment as the one your seeing there has no jig for it. but yea, thats all stuff we do, full service fabrication basically, then tuning, basic off the shelf installs, etc...

the 4" cold air kit is somthing were hoping to bring to the market soon, but all i can say is, on your standard eibach pro-kit Z, it clears. :mrgreen: beats manifold radiant heat intake any day of the week.

Also, is a goal of 400hp out of my range with stock ceramic coated pistons, combustion chamber, and valves with a stock cam P90 head with the HY35? I put myself at 350 because I'm confident I can make that number with this turbo.

The 416 i made was a forged piston/cam motor car. That being said, we recently took that motor apart (after it had been together 20 some odd years), and we discovered the camshaft had been wearing down, a little more searching and it turned out we had a CWC core issue like many other people have had. So i'm not sure how much credit to give the camshaft, but even in it's damaged state it was producing a better power profile than stock cam 4200 drop off by a good margin.

We also found the pistons to be in exceptional shape with no signs of detonation. So with a solid tune i believe your bottom end will hold the 400hp. But the tune to get it there will be completely different since your going to be fighting a downhill battle after 4200rpm on the stock cam. If you've never driven a 300whp Z, i'd take baby steps anyway... it's a large jump from n/a L to even 250hp turbo L in terms of driving response. Walk before you run.

So you're going under the car with it I assume? This will be going in a 72. And dang, it looks like the turbo barely clears the steering, wow!! If you could give me a quote with everything, or a link to your website, it would be greatly appreciated. I wonder of you guys do ceramic coatings as well....hmmm :D Thanks!

There might be differences from Holset to Holset but the threads on my oil feed was a very oddball 11mm. Same thread pitch as the stock L28et banjo bolt but Nissan used a 12mm. This left me with two options, tap the turbo out to 12mm or modify the banjo bolt. I ended up getting the bolt turned down enough for get a 11mm die on it. Worked out great, but of course I had to order the die cuz nobody had one of those.

So you're going under the car with it I assume? This will be going in a 72. And dang, it looks like the turbo barely clears the steering, wow!! If you could give me a quote with everything, or a link to your website, it would be greatly appreciated. I wonder of you guys do ceramic coatings as well....hmmm :D Thanks!

post a photo of your turbo