HybridZ

240 Engine Cutting Out

Here is a mystery. The car is an early 71 that is essentially stock, but I run a header and a Mallory dual point mechanical-only distributor.

It starts great every morning and runs well for about ½ hour. Then I get a stalling effect. It is as if one turns the key off and then quickly back on. It happens once or twice at first but then gets more frequent as I go along. I had this problem before and replaced the positive and negative connectors at the coil and it went away. Now it is persistent.

By the way, it only affects the engine – voltage does not drop, the lights do not dim, etc. when it occurs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you have a volt meter handy ? Check the voltage with key in run postition, should be about 8 volts. I think the msd coil is also supplied with a ballist resistor too.

I got fed up with points and put a pertronix in the mallory dizzy about 6 years ago,very clean installation pertronix ignitor comes with its own breaker plate for the mallory. The only thing I did was epoxy the trigger magnets in place instead of using the green tape thats starts to peel after awhile.

Guest Rolling Parts
Thanks, zforce. I will check out the voltage.

Does the Pertronix work with my tach? Do you have a part number for it?

Or just do a search for the ZX Dizzy Swap.

For $75-100 bucks you get better spark and wonderful reliability.

Points are a bit silly when a better Datsun solution is so cheap, easy, better, and reliable.

It sounds like the car you have came with the mallory, if you were starting with nothing the zx dizzy is the way to go but since you got the mallory might as well use it. I got mine for 100.00 new in the 80's now they are like 600 bucks F that. Do you have the degree key that comes with the mallory ? this is cool, you can set your advance curve to whatever you want.