HybridZ

Clean Piping - BAR

johnc

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) is stepping up enforcement of "Clean Piping" and getting felony convictions against Smog Techs, shop owners, and seizing vehicles and fining vehicle owners. Clean piping is the practice of using an exhaust sample from a vehicle that passes smog and then fraudulently entering the non-compliant vehicle's registration information.

BAR agents are searching Craigslist and automotive forums for obviously non-compliant vehicles (the example used in the latest bulletin was a LS1 swap into a 1989 240SX) and then posing as buyers. They hit seven vehicles in LA County last month.

Sorry John, I see worlds like this and my mind immediately wanders.

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) is stepping up enforcement of "Clean Piping" and getting felony convictions against Smog Techs, shop owners, and seizing vehicles and fining vehicle owners. Clean piping is the practice of using an exhaust sample from a vehicle that passes smog and then fraudulently entering the non-compliant vehicle's registration information.

BAR agents are searching Craigslist and automotive forums for obviously non-compliant vehicles (the example used in the latest bulletin was a LS1 swap into a 1989 240SX) and then posing as buyers. They hit seven vehicles in LA County last month.

FYI... the race fuel sale .pdf above is not a new restriction. Its just a restatement of regulations that have been in effect for a number of years and it only applies to specific types of race fuels that do not meet CA fuel requirements. Most unleaded race fuels do meet the requirements and are not subject to the disclosure information listed in this .pdf.

When I ran Sunoco 112 leaded back in the early 00's in the ROD I had to provide the dealer with the basic information listed in the .pdf and he just kept it on file when I bought new barrels.

Its not a big deal.

Edited by johnc

And people scoffed at the contention that BAR reads enthusiasts magazines and then targets owners of cover featured cars with 'random out of cycle testing' on all the vehicles registered at their name (even if they are all late model Company-Supplied Corporate Leased Vehicles)...

Yeah, that's why they cover the license plates now.

Good to know they're prowling Craigslist now as well!

FYI: The seizure clause has been on the books forever. The process for making these swaps legal is so simple it's laughable---a trip to the referee and probably 1/2 an hour for the test. For a compliant engine like an LS1, to not make it a legal swap is idiocy. You can do about anything you want, as long as you report the change. It's not as hard as people make it out to be.

Now, putting in a JDM L24 into a 1973 back when they were tested? An LT1 Small Block conversion was easier to register!