HybridZ

Lost Keys 83 zxt; Did Search found answers

macs_5

However, I am not having any luck with lock number. I removed the hatch lock cylinder and do not find a number on it anywhere. Pass door lock is buried under a cover, rods and linkages. Really hate to take it all apart. No sticker in glove box unless it is posted in a hidden place. Appreciate any help I can get.

regards,

Mac

driver door cylinder should have the number on it. But if the hatch doesn't likely someone changed things around. You are looking for a numbr like M1234. Other option is take all the cylinders to a competent lock smith and tell him to make them all work with the same key. Changing the keying is fairly cheap if you do the cyinder removal work. You could also take the hatch cylinder in and see if they can work backwards from that. Not Home Depot or Ace Hardware use an actual guy that has locksmith on the door and makes his living that way. Again the operative word is competent.

The outside of my hatch lock cylinder has the code on it. Mxxxx is the form. Take the lock to a lock smith and they can get the key code from it and make a key. I actually just did this today so I could have real Nissan keys again instead of walmart crap.

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your reply, I have been over hatch lock with a 20 power magnifying glass and no number stamped in barrel. Believe its replacement knock off. Matches a lot of other weird stuff on this "performance built turbo car".

I think I will do one of two things, replace all the locks or just get the ignition keyed and hope it works on the doors,

A question, Do the 200sx locks have any similarity to the 280zx? It looks like ignition switch lock housing is different, but what about cylinders? Would they be interchangeable? Thanks for your help.

Glenn

ok and thanks for replys. Also have an assortment of keys for 280zx since I have had a couple. Unfortunately, the lock cylinders do not appear to have the usual wear that allows various objects to unlock doors.

(go figure) So I am guessing that locks probably are not original to car and probably a collection put in by PO. Headed to locksmith next week with ignition lock in hand, at least will be able start engine and just maybe I will get lucky and find the key actually fits the doors, hatch and gas cap.

regards

mac

OOPS, its the PASSENGER door lock and the hatch lock that have the codes on them... none on the driver's door or ignition lock. Both should have the code "Stamped" into them. Pic below shows hatch lock...

ZXlock.jpg

Hi Warren, took alook at your build page. had a couple questions about your car, which is beautiful I might add. Regarding the Ford injectors, what spec and part number and how do they respond with your mods? Also, any chance of getting look at under the hood of your car? I have an 83 turbo car that has an empty engine compartment at the moment and I have been entertaining some ideas and really would like to see driving projects, rather than in work machines. (all interesting, you understand, but the drivers are the ones that I can measure success of mods against my own plans). The car that I acquired had JTW basic mod done, then PO stripped engine compartment for v8 mod, did not get far. I bought it and found that he forgot to pull the ECU and wiring for the JWT system, so0000, since engine is out anyway, I think I will make a few adjustments to its design parameters, adding parts and pulling others.

My background includes a couple of 82 280zx n/a for a few years. So its kind of an upgrade thing for me. Thanks for your input and I still am going to replace all the locks, found 200sx lockset new, that I can swap cylinders with and get matching keys and cylinders. Have a good weekend.

regards,

mac