HybridZ

Looking for MIG

doublez

Hey,

I'm looking for a cheap MIG welder. Something I can do body work with and maybe some stuff that's a little thicker. I know how to weld but haven't done a whole lot of mig welding and don't have access to a tig or the money for one.

I've been looking at the ones on harbor freight and wondering what more experienced guys think of them?

Something like this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94164

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93793

Or should I save up more for something nicer/more expensive?

I've also been keeping and eye on craigslist but there isn't much. Are there any other site to check for good deals?

Thanks

You may want to invest in a GMAW welder (i.e. a MIG with gas shielding). A flux cored welder will work, but I understand that gas shielding leads to cleaner welds with less spatter. I have never used flux cored, but my experience with GMAW has been very good. A good place to look for welders is Tractor Supply Co.

The bottom line is buy quality. Do NOT buy the cheap weld equipment sold at Horrible freight or Northern tools. Even a good welder would have a hard time trying to weld with these poor products. Look for Lincoln, Miller (my first choice), ESAB or equivalent. Any of these will allow for adding the gas shielding. CL is a great starting point and sometimes a good deal can be found. I choose Miller because it is the primary equipment used at my place of work (a naval shipyard). My first Miller 110v 'cricket' lasted ten long years before finally dying. I replaced it with a 220v Miller unit. That welder is like a sewing machine. The 220v makes a LOT of difference. To make it usable I installed a 220v service in the garage. I also made a 40ft HEAVY extension cable to allow me flexibilty to move the welder most anywhere I need for use.

• 2 weeks later...

Definately get one with gas. Better off getting a good brand used than one from Harbor Freight. I picked up a Hobart 250 for $500 about a year ago and it is awesome. Probably a little big for body work. I borrowed a Lincoln 135 or 140 for a while and was a good little welder....probably great for what you want. Plugs into 110 but still welded great. Only about $500-600 new so you should be able to find a used one for a little less.

Jon

Thanks for the advice. I've read some reviews and what not and I'm definately going with one of the top brands. Now just to find a good deal :)

Today on CL I saw a millermatic 130 and hobart handler 135. Both were listed under 300. Good deals? What is there to look for when seeing a welder? Or is it best to just test weld something with it.

MIG machines are usually rated by the thickness of metal they can weld and the duty cycle, or how long they will go at a specific output without overheating. I have used all kinds of machines over the years and I really like the Millermatic 180. With some copper backing, you can weld Z bodies without burning through. If you need to weld something heavier the 180 easily does 5/16 mild steel in one pass. Also you want a machine that will accommodate a range of wire sizes say from 23 to 35 gauge. I totally agree with the get the gas machine comments. Flux wire is only good if you need to weld in the wind. The 180 has an autoset but I find it is easier to set it manually by the sound of the "popcorn". If you hit the lottery buy a TIG!

I just completed my first repair job with this today, I am pretty impressed with it, I was used to a 220v miller unit I learned on at my highschool, and the hobart produced welds 98% of the quality the miller unit did.

Overall I couldn't be happier with my purchase, I bought this specifically for repairing the z and it works perfectly.

Everything I have read in my reasearch says that flux cored wire is not really acceptable for body repair, Also Tig isn't either. It produces cleaner welds but it is too slow and heats the metal too much and causes warpage.

PS, it came with a broken hatch latch, and I called hobart/miller customer service and they had a replacement part to my door in 3 days. Very easy to deal with.

Edited by at-jefft

I assume the handler 135 is very similar to the 140? I can't find specs on the 135.

Did you buy yours new?

I think I'll just end up getting whatever I can find cheapest. :)

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it

wow, fail.

2nd hit on google: 135 specs

and I think many people have said in this thread "don't buy cheap"

If you wanna save money on this endevor buy a decent welder and then go to harbor freight and get the clamps, gloves and what ever other welding accessories you need, but don't cheap out on the welder.