HybridZ

V8 suspension considerations

I have a 11/74 260z with a SBC 350 / t5 that I picked up a few months back. I am a former 240z guy so this is a whole new animal for me. I did not get the V8 thing until I wet myself after driving it! WOW! Anyway, I looked at tons of suspension info on this site and I wanted to target the V8 gurus specifically so I posted this here instead of the suspesion forum. What spring / strut combos are you guys using? I do not want to go to coilovers as this is just a street car, however I do want the lowered ride. Spring rates are a concern with the slight weight increase. I do know that being a late 260z the spring will be the higher rated 280z springs. I see many with issues so I want to get this combo / set up right. Thanks for all your help.

I run Motorsports lowering springs and they are a nice improvement over the stock springs and lower the car just enough. Most of the improvement is probably due to be new and not being 35 year old springs. Cost is very reasonable and I think they are a good street spring rate.

I'm running TOKICO HZ3012 and HZ3013 struts and 2" lowering springs. I got the kit off EBay of all places. I got bump stops 88-715 from Black Dragon and spacers 23-4186 from zcarparts.com. I have a larger front sway bar, that made a huge difference in handling and removed the rear sway bar because it interfered with the JTR driveshaft adapter.

I don't know how much a stock Datsun 2.4 liter engine weighs, but an all-iron Chevy small block is about 550 pounds. Aluminum heads removes about 75 pounds from that.

I replaced the 750 pound 235 straight six engine from my '52 GMC pick up truck and replaced it with a lighter 550 pound 350 V8. So in my case, it was less weight on the springs.