HybridZ

Project - 4.6 4V S30

DUDE!! I would love to see this project happen! I wanted to do this for my S30 as well. Ill probably get a 4V and install it in my mustang and then when I get my terminator 4V ill install the 4v from the stang into the S30! Exemplary project! keep the pics coming!

I sold my last project car a little while after I finished it so that paid for most of the parts for this build. Unfortunately between working on my Civic and getting the Suburban roadworthy, I didn't have time to do anything else on the Z.

I respect your willingness to go to this kind of an extent to make this happen. I hope you will be successful in this swap. It would be cool just to see the photos of a completed swap, pretty or not. I just picked up a cheap 96 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8 (I never owned a Ford before) and I like the car and I like the 2V engine too. I can imagine the 4V engine being vastly superior, so I am looking at your swap with interest. May your time and money hold out...

Davy

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My dad recently bought a '95 Grand Marquis with the 2V 4.6 and I was impressed with the engine, so I can't wait to see how my car turns out.

Money is a little tight right now, so new parts probably won't end up showing up until I sell the Civic. But, in the meantime, I bought this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Performance-Liter-Ford-Engines/dp/188408978X

I haven't had a chance to read much of it, but it should definitely educate me quite a bit on these motors so my build will turn out better.

• 1 month later...

I've been crazy busy with school so I haven't had a chance to get anything done, but I'll be home in exactly 2 weeks from today so the work will commence then. I can't wait, not working on it for this long is driving me crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally an update! I've been crazy busy since I've been home for summer and I haven't had much time to work on it.

I've been pulling apart my Lincoln Continental motor. This has got to be the most interesting looking intake manifold that I've ever seen:

DSC_5688.jpg

The timing cover is kinda bulky but it sure does have a lot of stuff to cover:

DSC_5693.jpg

Also, I got the DOHC heads off:

DSC_5691.jpg

DSC_5692.jpg

DSC_5698.jpg

DSC_5701.jpg

Here's the Continental block next to my Cobra block:

DSC_5705.jpg

All the stuff I pulled off the motor:

DSC_5712.jpg

Then I started mocking up the drivetrain for the Z. I'm just throwing a pan and heads on the bare block and bolting the trans to it so I can see how it all fits in the engine bay:

DSC_5713.jpg

Got a decent amount done today.

The Z met its new friend (Its a '77 Civic that I picked up for dirty cheap. I'm gonna restore it and possibly swap a newer Honda engine into it and sell it for a profit so I can buy the rest of the stuff I need for the Z):

DSC_5752.jpg

DSC_5753.jpg

I got all the wiring out of the engine bay:

DSC_5761.jpg

Engine and trans fully mocked up and getting ready to go in:

DSC_5769.jpg

It was interesting trying to get it all in through the engine bay:

DSC_5770.jpg

I finally got it mostly into place though:

DSC_5773.jpg

DSC_5777.jpg

DSC_5778.jpg

DSC_5781.jpg

With the engine here, the shifter is about 3" forward of the stock shifter location. I think I'm going to end up relocating the hood latch, moving most of the firewall back, and bringing the engine back a few inches. I might use the cowl for an intake if I end up doing this (not how that'll work with the MAF though). Also, I'm going to have to either buy or fabricate a rear sump oil pan in order to clear the steering rack and crossmember.

• 4 months later...

First of all Inferoman, great pictures, keep em coming! Got any updates? What did you find as far as clearances go between the exhaust manifold and the steering? I've got a 4.6L SOHC I'm planning on putting into my 78Z (as it REALLY doesn't fit in my wife's 65 Stang like I had planned.... ) I know my engine is a little narrower than the DOHC, but still want to learn from everybody else first.

Edited by yellowoctupus

Sorry for the lack of updates. Towards the end of spring semester this year, I had some health problems arise that kept me from being able to work. I ended up getting diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the ripe old age of 20. As such, my income has been pretty limited and I'm at a point with this project where I can't do anything else without buying more (expensive) parts.

To answer your question though, header clearances are going to be very tight if I don't end up either raising the motor quite a bit (which I don't want to do) or modifying the frame rails (which I might end up doing). It looks like with the DOHC heads, the steering stuff will have to be modified a bit to clear. If you search this forum, there's a few builds with ingenious ways to get more clearance with the steering. This probably won't be nearly as big of an issue with the SOHC heads though.

Whoa, bummer on the arthritis. I was 20 when I bought my Z too... Thanks for the insight on the exhaust. I have to get my wife's 65 mustang finished before I pull out the 2.8, but that 4.6 is now sitting on my garage floor, staring at me. IF that's not incentive to get the pony car going, I don't know what is! Hope you get your crunchy joints under control, and can get back working on the Z.

• 1 month later...

Well, slight change of plans. I picked up a pair of turbos today.

DSC_7612.jpg

They're Garrett 57mm turbos. .60 A/R cold side and .63 A/R hot side with the hot side ceramic coated. They need new seals but everything looks practically brand new. I'd say they were a steal for $250 for the pair.

I'm thinking that I'll be fine with a Cobra oil pan (they're rear sump instead of front sump like the Continental one) and an oil filter relcation. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get many of the other parts I need from the junkyards due to the cold weather. Hopefully this winter is a short one.

I did, however, pick up a pair of front spindles and hubs from an SN95 Mustang. It doesn't look like it'll take too much work to use them on the Z, and then I'll have the lug pattern and brake options that I want.