HybridZ

Coilovers: EMUSA vs. Megan

Ok, I have here a S13 EMUSA and a S13 Megan Racing front coilovers.

One major differace between the two coilovers pictured is that the Megan has adjustable dampening, which I think is the reason the Megan has a longer body. Besides that, the camber plates are the same, the thread pitch on the shock body is the same, the travel is the about the same.

Take a look and you be the judge.

I will be happy to take more pictures and measurements.

Coilovers%20001.jpg

Coilovers%20002.jpg

Coilovers%20003.jpg

Coilovers%20004.jpg

Coilovers%20005.jpg

Coilovers%20006.jpg

Coilovers%20008.jpg

Coilovers%20009.jpg

Coilovers%20010.jpg

Coilovers%20011.jpg

It appears to be so. I am in the middle of rust repair, otherwise I would be putting them on.

The only question I have is how long should I make the lower perches?

There is someone making lower perches for the Megans, but the Megans are about 1 3/4" longer.

I am not trying to scrap frame rails, so I gotta get the right length.

Since they are both made by the same company in Taiwan they are pretty much identical. I get monthly e-mails from that some company offering the exact same product (adjustable and non-adjustable) with my choice of powder coating, plating, etc. and the BetaMotorsports logo.

Since they are both made by the same company in Taiwan they are pretty much identical. I get monthly e-mails from that some company offering the exact same product (adjustable and non-adjustable) with my choice of powder coating, plating, etc. and the BetaMotorsports logo.

It's funny how all those s13 coilovers look the same...O wait...

• 2 months later...

these are 2.5in springs right? so if the spring rates arent what people are looking for they could pick up a set of hyper coils or something down the road?

You are correct, they are 2.5x8.

QA1 are a cheaper option aswell. $38 plus shipping from summit and I think they offer $10 flat rate shipping.

Exactly, and that's really the only complaint I here with the emusa coils, so get some softer springs and call it a day. Iv had adjustable coilovers in the past and never really even adjusted the dampers....

Are both bottoms made of steel? Are both from a 240sx?

Yes, and yes. Both are for S13

The only thing that is different is the shock body length and more than likely the valveing.

Those are Megan tracks so the springs rates are a lot higher aswell.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

hi, has anyone bought the coilover from emusa. Please help share you exp, I am temping to buy one from them, the one posted on their site http://www.speedyrac...t-Nissan/Detail looks good to me , specially price :).. just want to get some ideas before throwing my money there, thx

For the price you can not beat this coilover. You will be hard pressed to find any difference between this coilover and any other cheap over seas coilover. I am not sure what you exact intent is, but unless you are racing, i.e. SCCA, Drifting, or ect, I seriously doubt you evening notice. From the research I have done, unless you are spending $2500 or more on coilovers, you are getting the same crap. I have installed the EMUSA coilsovers, Megan, Ksport, Apexi, Tein, KW, and several others. All of which felt like you were riding on coilovers. The question you need to ask is, do they hold up. I know of at least 15 people locally who run the EMUSA coilovers, and have done so for the past couple years.

If you buy these, don't expect anything but a standard run of the mill coilover, becuse thats what they are. But if you are like me, on a budget and your car is never gonna see the track, then go with the EMUSA. Hell, track'em and see what happens. Report back here and tell use about our experience.

both suck, get some quality coilovers and be happy. I had KTS coils on my z31 and fell in love.

Please elaborate on why you think the EMUSA coilovers suck. Please contribute to this tread instead of just throwing an opinion out there. I respect your opinion, but others and my self would like to know your experience and why it is negative.

I would have no problems with running these on a daily. As far as Megans go, I've seen/used them on and off the track and had nothing but good results. Honestly, I can't really view Megan as an "off" brand, since they're a company of their own and produce their own products. I had a Megan exhaust on my L28ET for two years and it sounded unbelievably good. Loved it. Amazing quality.

As far as dampening and valving, they might be a little cheaper made than competitors (Tien, PBM, Stance, ect.), but there's nothing wrong with them.

Dennis Grant has a really good series on shocks that is well worth reading.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

He used to have a "crap" page that named names and showed dyno plots of the JDM shocks being discussed here. Lawyers from those manufacturers went after him so he had to take it down. Couldn't afford the costs to defend the truth from Taiwanese (not US) companies that had more money and more lawyers. This is the last bit left from the "crap" pages:

Amazingly, save those brands mentioned in that earlier list, this was a non-stop parade of horror, including, but not limited to:

Adjusters that did absolutely nothing;

Adjusters that had more crosstalk effect than they had primary effect (ie, a rebound adjuster where 1 click made a 10% change in rebound and a 30% change in compression);

Adjusters that were nonlinear and exponential;

Adjusters that peaked in the middle of the adjustment range (in one example, "full hard" was softer than "full soft");

Shimstacks assembled upside-down;

Sets of shocks where a front and rear shimstack had been exchanged;

Shocks valved with forces that were insane (1600 lbs/in @ 3 in/sec was the record);

Shocks that faded so fast (as they warmed up) that no two runs were ever alike;

Shocks with adjusters that varied by 10% on the same shock at the same setting, depending on if you got there by going harder or softer;

Shocks that adjusted rebound and compression in lockstep, but had so much compression that backing them down to reasonable levels made rebound way too soft (very common with the Japanese brands like GAB, JIC, Tein, etc)