HybridZ

240sx rear brake SS line, options?

As far as I can tell the only way for me to get some SS lines from the 240sx rear brake caliper to my stock (73 240z) hard lines is by purchasing a $75 pair from MM. Is there another option? It seems kinda insane to think that the full 240z SS kit from thezstore is pretty much the same price; and that is for 4 lines, not just 2.

i know that there is a rubber option to be found at rock auto, but as the title says i am looking for an SS option.

alright with the new search software i was able to find some info on what i needed, but this arouse another question...

Right now i have the MSA SS lines all around; obviously this will not work with the 240sx rear caliper, but i figure that i could just get a 10mm banjo adapter to the male threaded end then I would not have to buy the expensive pair of SS lines. I have e-mailed MSA asking them what the thread pitch is, but if anyone knows off hand that would be great.

the brake would be set up as such... caliper > banjo adapter > MSA SS lines > hard lines.

alrighty so i think i figured it out.

since i already have the banjo bolts on the caliper these are the parts that you need to buy for your stock brake line to work, and subsequently the SS kit that MSA sells.

you will need to buy

--pair of banjo fittings;

fitting size 1: -3an

fitting size 2: 10mm banjo

link http://www.summitrac...rts/RUS-640471/

--pair of male to male fittings

fitting size 2: 10mm x 1.0 INVERTED FLARE

link http://www.summitrac...rts/FRA-650307/

--pair of female to female couplers

fitting size 2: -3an

link http://www.summitrac.../EAR-915103ERL/

total cost being $37.18

to recap

-option 1

(4) MSA SS lines - $80

(2) MM SS lines - $75

total cost $155

-Pro, you have ss lines that bolt right up

-Cons, you have to throw away/sell the rears that you get from MSA

also since you cant actually buy the SS lines by themselves shipping will cost you an extra $30; being that you have to use buy a kit and remove what you dont need so total cost is now $185

option 2

(4) MSA SS lines - $80

couplers and fittings - $40

total cost $120

-Pro, dont have to throw anything away, and less expensive

-cons, semi-jerry rigged look.

As always it is up to the buyer, but saving an extra $35-$65 is quite a bit, after all that is pretty much the cost of new pads (Porterfield R4-S = $60)

Edited by crazyoctopus

once i get all of the material to the house i'll post some photos up and add them to the rear brake FAQ so that way people can see what it looks like.

I also got back from MM about the extra shipping cost, and they would lower it after i made the purchase and refund the money; still though you save $30 and dont have an extra set of SS lines that you have to dispose of.

I got all of the parts in and here are the photos.

4390429119_da6609365b.jpg

4391197710_030b6d4818.jpg

4391198618_d070926483.jpg

4391199390_306e86844e.jpg

4391200056_84783dce16.jpg

here is what the stock attachment looks like

4390433263_4ba98c4d2e.jpg

I went with a different banjo adapter than i originally said, and probably should have stuck with it. with this setup i will probably have to grind off one of the tabs.

the stainless lines are from MSA; 10mm x 1.0 inverted nipples on both ends.

I don't know what to tell ya. You can assume that most retailers are getting 200% mark-up on kitted parts. They charge for their knowledge. They usually source good stuff too. MM makes a fantastic kit even if it is a little more expensive. There are a few suppliers I have seen that will attach any configuration you like with die-crimped fittings. You will have to hunt for that, I don't have anyone right off the bat.

My gettin-spot for a lot of stuff is Pegasus Racing Supplies. They only offer AN-3 to 3/8" banjo. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/bigpicture.asp?RecID=755

so you would need the wheel end adaptor that attaches directly to the chassis brake line clip/holder. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=4205

That way there is no extra weight or fittings on the wheel end.

• 2 weeks later...

noticed my rear brake reservoir fluid a bit lower so i filled it up, and pumped teh brakes to see if the level went down... it did. so i looked around to see if there was any leakage on any of the brakes. this is what i found.

4425234951_d23fefa464.jpg

looks like i am going with a different route.

6" seems like less than half what you need. Many folks have replaced and relocated the hardlines so you need to measure yourself. Find something that flexes similarly to braided hose and check routing at full compression and full droop. I seem to remember 16" for the rears.

Dont know if this helps but there is a guy on Ebay selling lines for the

86 NISSAN MAXIMA CALIPERS and 1982 NISSAN 280ZX REAR BRAKE ROTOR set up. for $45.00 a set

Its worth checking out to see if they will work on the 240sx setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-Rear-Disc-Conversion-Brake-Lines_W0QQitemZ260558423031QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3caa7e03f7

Don't mean to hijack your thread but does anyone know if I can use these same lines for the front 4x4 vented toyota setup on a 240z.

Thanks

Ahmed

Disadvantage is; more flexible hose means squishier pedal. The flex lines should only be a long as needed for suspension travel and full droop when the car is lifted.

Do you need new hardlines? If so, then check out autozone for nice brake line tubing, pre flared with metric fittings in a variety of lengths.

To sum up your problems;

1. You used MSA factory replacement lines. They have tube-flare fittings on both ends because that is what the factory hoses went to.

2. You spent almost as much on adaptors and shipping as new lines would have cost you.

3. adaptors failed, that is the learning curve working there. Folks with experience would have known better. You have to learn somehow.

4. You are still ignoring what folks have told you by "re-engineering" your hardlines.

You need:

2x ~16" hoses with AN-3 and 3/8"-Banjo ($18 each)

2x Chassis braket adaptors with Metric tube flare to AN-3 ($3 each)

Edited by bjhines

• 1 year later...

Disadvantage is; more flexible hose means squishier pedal. The flex lines should only be a long as needed for suspension travel and full droop when the car is lifted.

Do you need new hardlines? If so, then check out autozone for nice brake line tubing, pre flared with metric fittings in a variety of lengths.

To sum up your problems;

1. You used MSA factory replacement lines. They have tube-flare fittings on both ends because that is what the factory hoses went to.

2. You spent almost as much on adaptors and shipping as new lines would have cost you.

3. adaptors failed, that is the learning curve working there. Folks with experience would have known better. You have to learn somehow.

4. You are still ignoring what folks have told you by "re-engineering" your hardlines.

You need:

2x ~16" hoses with AN-3 and 3/8"-Banjo ($18 each)

2x Chassis braket adaptors with Metric tube flare to AN-3 ($3 each)

I bought some SS lines that have the right fittings on each end, but they are only about 12" long. With the rear tires off, I can raise the suspension high enough that they bind at the top of the range. I would buy some from Ross at Modern Motorsports, but he doesn't seem to be around anymore. Anyone know where I can get longer ones?

post-895-012975000 1321419388_thumb.jpg