HybridZ

L28 Flywheel and Clutch Interchange

FlatBlack

I would avoid XTD clutches like the plague. Don't believe me? Google them and look at the reviews.

Shameless participation in necro-thread

I don't know about their flywheels but I'm using their clutch (the ceramic 6 puck one) and it hasn't given me any troubles at all. When I read the reviews I was a little worried too but then you see that a lot of complainers are the once making supposed heaps of power. This brings me to the question "Why are you buying a $100 clutch and pressure plate for a supposed 500+HP Supra?"

Granted I'm probably more in the 225-250HP range.

I forgot about the 280ZXT TOB thing for 240mm clutches... I have the Fidanza flywheel and the 240mm clutch. Was running a T5 then put in a Nissan 5 speed from a 280... I used the collar and bearing but not the fork if I remember.

If you buy the proper flywheel, the clutch will fit, according to the information posted by Flat Black. Thanks Flat Black by the way for the link to the replacement clutch surface. I've been curious where to get them.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried using a RB25 flywheel on a L28, not sure about up there, but RB gear is pretty common here and it would be a lot cheaper to obtain a "used" multi-plate from a RB25 powered car, ie $1500 second hand vs $3000 new. As these multi plate clutches come with flywheels, my mechanic said it should bolt up, but may need dowels put in to centre the assembly on the crank, but he doesn't know for sure. Plans are for my engine to eventually make 400whp, which I've already collected the parts for, and am commencing the build in the coming months.

I've read that an L28 flywheel would work on a RB25, but some machining is required to open up the middle hole.

Cheers

Aaron

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead.

Yes, the RB20DET flywheel WILL fit the L28 or KA24 crankshaft.

Yes, the 350Z clutch disk is 250mm, and will fit the RB flywheel AND the Fidanza L28 flywheel.

Yes, the 350Z pressure plate (Stock 350Z pressure plate is 800kg clamping force) will fit the RB20DET, L28ET, and KA24DE flywheels.

The advantage here is gaining the use of a 250mm friction surface, and a widely available inexpensive pressure plate with a higher clamping force than the stock pressure plate for the L28ET.

There is a reason the OEM moved from 225mm, to 240mm, to 250mm clutch surfaces, namely drivability and harshness. Once the flywheel is purchased, the usage of the 350Z pressure plate and clutch disk makes future installations just as simple as a stock setup.

• 1 year later...

Xnke -

I was cruising the site and came across a couple of threads with you discussing the RB20DET flywheel, 350Z clutch and pressure plate combo.  I am in the process of completing this combo on my build.  I have a couple of questions for you.

I'm not sure which transmission you used but I am going to run a Z32 tranny with the RB20DET flywheel, 350Z clutch and 350Z pressure plate.  The Z32 and 350Z throwout bearing dimensions are almost identical.  I'm going with a Z32 throwout bearing and sleeve simply because I'm using a Z32 transmission!  I am going with the larger slave cylinder off of the pathfinder.  I am also using the heavy duty Z32 clutch fork from Z1 Motorsports. 

I haven't seen a discussion on the particular tranny/clutch/PP combo I just described.  I'm sure others have/are running the Z32 tranny with the 350Z setup.

Which transmission did you use with RB20DET/350Z setup?

Which throwout bearing and sleeve combo did you use?

Which slave cylinder did you go with?

Any hidden gremlins with the setup?

Looking forward to your input