HybridZ

L28et engine management

dhughes

Hi I've tried doing some researching but i cant find any specific answers. I have a l28et but no ecu or harness.. my final goal is 325-350hp,

can i skip getting the stock ecu and get an after market ecu and harness? If so what kind should i get? i have heard MS2 is good but i dont know

If i have to have the stock ecu and a MS2... Thanks in advance!

Daniel

A Megasquirt could actually end up being cheaper than trying to source the original harness and ECU, if you are handy with wiring and tools. And for the power level you want, the stock engine management is really not up to the task. You'll need an intercooler, a better fuel pump and bigger injectors. Maybe a bigger turbo as well, the factory piece is going to have trouble flowing the air at that power level. So you are better off with a stand-alone fuel/spark control to start with.

I've heard it said you can boost a L28ET up to 350 without modifying the internals, but quite honestly, I wouldn't want to. I'm sure it's possible, but I'd go with forged pistons at least. Just to be on the safe side.

Please, if you do not know then do not post. You "heard" you can go up to 350 hp with modifying the internals? Big Phil, jc052685, jeffp, and myself (and others) have all gone over 400 wheel ft-lbs of torque on a stock bottom end.

Please, if you do not know then do not post. You "heard" you can go up to 350 hp with modifying the internals? Big Phil, jc052685, jeffp, and myself (and others) have all gone over 400 wheel ft-lbs of torque on a stock bottom end.

QFT!!!

(at least, thats what I heard... *duck*)

I've heard it said you can boost a L28ET up to 350 without modifying the internals, but quite honestly, I wouldn't want to. I'm sure it's possible, but I'd go with forged pistons at least. Just to be on the safe side.

+1 to KTM, I have been at 325+ since 1985 on a stock 1977 NORMALLY ASPIRATED Nissan Bottom AND Top End. I changed stuff that bolted on to the block. The most I did internally was clean the tops of the pistons and combustion chambers with laquer thinner when I replaced the STOCK Nissan Head Gasket. I also pulled the oil pan to clean out sludge, and replace the leaking gasket.

I've got to ask: WHY would you put forged pistons in a car only making 350HP? All you will do when you detonate is break a set of $600 pistons, instead of a set of $200 pistons.

I have seen closer to 500HP on stock bottom end, but that is a 'short distance proposition'...

For me, I've got well over 50K miles on that setup and still not a complaint at that power level. I think that is acceptable longevity, as I know people with FORGED PISTONS that haven't successfully made that kind of 'drive time' on their engines yet as things keep breaking.

Get greedy, things break. Experiment, things break. If you know what you want, where you want it RPM wise, and plan on being contented at that level there is no reason under the sun why you should spend extra money for pistons you will never utilize to their potential (and likely have oil consumption issues with on a street car anyway, compared with cast items!)

"I HEARD"?

I know. I did it.

Then again, "I got a friend who knows somebody, who's uncle said that..."

Please, lets' not go down that road here!

I hate the search responses but a wealth of info is out there to help you with MS...good luck with the istall!

I agree that the search responses can seem very snobby, but if you are doing a MS install by yourself and you have to ask where the wires go...

It may not be the proper engine management for you. There is a sticky on what to read for your MegaSquirt install in the Standalone section.

Check my sig too! :D SHANE ran 12s and high 11s with a junkyard L28ET for years, never broke it. He had the JWT ECU, pump, IC and 450cc injectors. Oh yes, 400 reliable horsepower on stock engine. Not to rub any salt into the wounds, but seriously, forged won't buy you much margin.