HybridZ

jkgts1's 260z project

Okay the pics that I have from my build are on the large side and I guess I am limited on space on this forum. So I set up some links to my photo bucket album. Let me tell you a bit about the project. This is a 74 260z (early) that I bought 3 years ago for $1,700 in Moreno Valley CA. I started taking the car apart with no intension of doing a full restoration, but that is what ended up happening. Anyway long story short, found rust, had to fix it. I have so far done 100% of the work myself, never done it before, and I am still flying by the seat of my pants. All the knowledge I have gained from this project have been from the terrific people on this forum. Any questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer the best I can. Sorry some of the images are out of sequence, but you can still get the jist.

original engine

the beginning

the beginning

patch panel

patch panel

sub frame connectors

patch panel

patch panel

patch panel

patch panel

patch panel

patch panel

rust

rust

another patch

under coating

on rotisserie

new engine frame rails

rotisserie

engine frame rails

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

Edited by jkgts1

Okay the pics that I have from my build are on the large side and I guess I am limited on space on this forum. So I set up some links to my photo bucket album. Let me tell you a bit about the project. This is a 74 260z (early) that I bought 3 years ago for $1,700 in Moreno Valley CA. I started taking the car apart with no intension of doing a full restoration, but that is what ended up happening. Anyway long story short, found rust, had to fix it. I have so far done 100% of the work myself, never done it before, and I am still flying by the seat of my pants. All the knowledge I have gained from this project have been from the terrific people on this forum. Any questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer the best I can. Sorry some of the images are out of sequence, but you can still get the jist.

Looks like an awesome project so far. 2JZ was a good choice of powerplant :D

Very interesting to see your approach to a similar project to what I have going...i was interested in if you started fabricating any type of motor mounts or how you are going to approach it...i am currently weighing my options...thinking about two seperate mounts that bolt to the engine bay fraim rails instead of the $400 crossmember made by beta motorsports...let me know if you have any ideas thanks Matt.

I decided to do the Betamotorsports route, I know it's expensive but saved me the headache. I believe some of the images show the mount, it is already welded in and painted. I fabed up a tranny mount on my own, R154 tranny.

Edited by jkgts1

I just went through all your links. very nice progress. I love the datsun in the rear! What is that off of?

Thanks I have been working on this as much as possible, then when winter came I had to hold off on painting, because it was not warm enough. A member on the forum here was having them made and was selling them. I think it was like $35 shipped or something like that. Try to do a search and see if he is still selling them, if you are interested in one.

So, some people were askin to see more pics of the flares. I still need to put some rubber around the edges to fill the gaps. These are extended ZG flares that I got from a past member, zforce, most know who he is. Enjoy.

post-2540-12677677463149_thumb.jpg

post-2540-12677677681453_thumb.jpg

post-2540-12677677865332_thumb.jpg

Edited by jkgts1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Front brakes are mounted withe new wheel bearings next is to plumb the brake lines. I tried using the standard flaring tools, to double flare the lines but they turned out like crap. I am even using Fedhill lines which are supposed to be easier to flare. So, I'm getting a better flaring tool. Hopefully this will work and not leak. Seems like I spend just as much money on tools as I do on parts.

post-2540-12721267929711_thumb.jpg

post-2540-12721267946346_thumb.jpg

post-2540-12721267956604_thumb.jpg

post-2540-12721267977407_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...