HybridZ

My 240 SR20 Build

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... fun day!

I had the day off, since I've worked the last 10 or so days straight at work, so played a bit with the car!

Got the lock coversion and power window conversions in and tested -

P1010440.jpg

P1010441.jpg

Finished the wiring of 2 and 0 gauge wire up to the front from the rear odyssey battery location and finished the brake lines getting run.

P1010431.jpg

Brake Booster and Clutch Master Cylinder Mounted

P1010432.jpg

Close up of the EZ wiring Fuse Box in it's location

P1010433.jpg

RAAMMat'd firewall and tunnel, (used extra pieces to hold down the wires for now) - All the silver will be covered with black closed cell acoustic foam from RAAMMat too.

P1010437.jpg

New Carpet Test Fitted over the Tunnel

P1010439.jpg

Lines from the rear to the front (Ground and Power) Ground will go to Frame at where the engine grounds will go, Power will go to solenoid and to the inside from there.

P1010442.jpg

Lots of work for 4 hours.

Just a question but how do you plan on changing the fuses if they go bad? will you be able to access them from the front or left side?

Otherwise everything else looks really clean and nice! :D

Edited by 19752802+2

I Thought about that... since I'm not running any heater/fan setup in it... there is TONS of room to get at things. It's one of the reasons That I tentatively mounted the dash, just to see what space I had to work with.

With the dash on, It's actually not tough to get at it from the left or right, and I'm going to run a custom panel where the heater controls/vent/stereo used to be, so I can make that removable if I really think there will be an issue. I'm now going to take the dash back off... as it's easier to do the wiring / relays without it there now that I have good pics and know what space I have to work with.

I'm going to replace all the fuses in the panel with these -

467478.jpg

Light up fuses from Waytek.

So it'll make it really easy to replace/diagnose issues with fuses as a result of where I chose to put it. In my build, there is just too much room there NOT to use it for the wiring and relay setups.

Edited by TheMission

Just did a quick scroll of all the pictures. Great resto mod going on here. Your going to have a like brand new car here. What about the suspension and brakes? Replacing/rebuilding any or lots of it? Maybe poly bushings, new struts, springs, and repaint it all? Sorry if I missed you saying something about this.

Suspension and Brakes I will do later, as it's all just bolts to take off. I'll switch out rears to discs and run coilovers someday. But, despite being able to get the car to look pretty dang nice, I do so on a really tight budget, so it's all about timing and what to wait for.

I'm looking at two different suspension setups, the one with the megans, but running the EM's due to cost, or another setup, tailored to the EM's, but not widely out on the forums... both are interesting to me, but I'm patient there.

It's not in the pics or details, as It was less critical to me, but I did remove all suspension components and restore them and added poly everywhere I could. I didn't do new springs/shocks, as someday I'll get a better setup.

Here's some pics of what I did back when the car was getting torn down...

How do you get at it all easy? This is how... and how to do it with no money.... 4x4s to the stock bumper brackets, Some gate hinges, some tow straps, some roller wheels, and an engine lift and TADA!

240Z-106.jpg

Then painted everything - on the cheap.

240Z-105.jpg

Poly was a pain, but it was worth it for later.

240Z-112.jpg

5 hours of wiring.... ugh, my back hurts, but things are getting there. The rear is all wired, Just need a fuel pump and I'm good to go wiring wise back there.

The Steering column wiring is 90 percent of the way done!

P1010443.jpg

Front wires are all grouped together and out front... they will be hidden away

P1010444.jpg

Here's the back without the panel on:

P1010445.jpg

The back all nicely wired:

P1010447.jpg

So nice of a kit... great wire to work with:

P1010446.jpg

All the running of wires hidden to the back and getting everything clean and set up for the column and front, it was a ton of work.

Next week I'll actually power up and start testing lights and using the meter to check everything else for correct operation!

The Build thread is now in a better and more applicable location in the forum! - Much thanks to BRAAP!

Today I spent most of the day on the Columbia river sailing around with family...

Sailing030Small.jpg

needed to relax a bit, so didn't work on the car physically, but did work on some things -

I ordered:

10 each of the Waytek light up fuses, in 10,15,20 amp profiles

A High Amp Weatherproof Fuse Case with a couple Extra 125 amp fuses for the power lead near the battery in the rear to protect from major shorts and such

Some better Power Studs, as I didn't like the one I had (with three studs on one piece), so I ordered two heavy duty individual studs for my heavy gauge power and grounds to the fuse area.

A distribution block for ground leads to clean up that aspect as well.

Build the To Do list for next week (if I don't, I forget small details I think about now!) - Shows my purposefulness as well in building to make things "Right".

NewPicture.jpg

Bit by Bit it all comes together.

Well, this last week was a bust - My Lil' Dude got sick and makes it hard to get progress on the Car.

I'm very close to completing the major wiring systems - I've tested the tails/signals/brakes/wiper, but still need to wire up door locks and window motors completely. Everything else is pretty much set.

Here's products I've chosen for the fuel system -

Aeroquip Socketless Hose

FBV0400-black.jpg

Aeroquip 8AN (Tank to Fuel Pump/Return to tank) and 6AN (Tank to FPR/Engine/Return) fittings.... Pretty much everything listed above... but did get some decent price breaks over what I estimated.

fcm1512.jpg

Don't worry, I researched the heck out of this stuff and it's designed and has been used in EFI high pressure systems no problem. Rated to 250psi

Walbro 255lph inline + Kit

walbrogsl392.jpg

Fuelab AFPR

fuelab_51501-1.jpg

Fuelab Inline 10 micron Filter

fuelab_818_blk-blk.jpg

Generic Aftermarket Side Feed Fuel Rail (for Bling and allows easy -6an line connections)

20097315104219674.jpg

Engine is hopefully about 2 weeks out now and updates will come a blazing when I start tear down and rebuild of that baby!

Edited by TheMission

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not too many updates as it's been wait, wait, wait on shipping for things, but I have most of the fuel system parts and all of the AN fittings, just missing Fuel Filter before I can go too hog wild plumbing everything. Tomorrow I finish most of the wiring and everything works, from the tails to signals to h/l relays and the infernal wiper motor running awesome on low and high, as I refreshed that sucker and cleaned the relay assembly and it works great.

I've got all new LED bulbs I'll try out in the stock tails, just to see what they look like, as they are cheap anyways and can't hurt, as I dislike the old bulbs.

Engine is on it's way from Kansas, should be here next week.

SR20DET S13, with everything.

New CAS

New Stage II Clutch

Vildini Mount

Custom Trans Mount

Modified and Refreshed U-joint Drive Shaft for the swap

Greddy Profec B Spec II EBC

IMG_1057_5.jpg

IMG_1056_4.jpg

IMG_1053_1.jpg

Hooray!

• 1 month later...

Yea for Updates!

The engine is a week or two away from going into the car for fitting the mount and welding that in... the transmission mount is all set and the fuel system is 90 percent done... It's getting there quickly...

Here's some updated pics.

The engine bay with the mounts in it:

240z140.jpg

The Trans Mount test fitted:

240z143.jpg

The Fuel pump/filter setup:

240z144.jpg

The Back End Look:

240z148.jpg

Shot from the hatch:

240z149.jpg

Off the Engine Stand!

240z151.jpg

240z152.jpg

240z154.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some good progress was made this weekend... It fits wonderfully, with the mounts and driveshaft all set.

The radiator and intercooler are ordered and on their way, which gets it closer to actually being able to be running and tested out.

Here's some fun pictures -

The back all in the daylight

IMG_0029.jpg

It's in -

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some poor angled pics, but the radiator is in and mounted and I am fabbing up the intercooler piping and mounting the FMIC by this weeked.

Also picked up a Freddy Plenum and got that on and set up as well.

By next week the FMIC and Radiator should all be mounted and I should have the piping figured out for them.

I'll also have the new valve cover in, which will be powder coated wrinkle black and shaved.

The rear floor should be in next week as well and I'll be able to get the Autopower bar in... it should then look more and more like a car instead of the shell it's been for more than a year.

P1010468.jpg

P1010465.jpg