HybridZ

Braided fuel lines

J240ZTurbo

• 1 month later...

I would like to know some clarification on this also. Juan what size fitting are you running from your fuel rail, assuming your running an after market fuel rail. I have a pallnet fuel rail with a 6an fitting on the end and a 6an off a aeromotive fpr

Edited by cd1105

I would like to know some clarification on this also. Juan what size fitting are you running from your fuel rail, assuming your running an after market fuel rail. I have a pallnet fuel rail with a 6an fitting on the end and a 6an off a aeromotive fpr

my big question is out of the 280z gas tank what size of line will I used to install to filter to pump?

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late, but are you guys running these steel braided lines straight from fuel tank to the engine bay?

Some do - I prefer to run hard lines under the car and only use flexible lines for shorter lengths connecting things that need to move aronnd a bit.

I'm a little late, but are you guys running these steel braided lines straight from fuel tank to the engine bay?

I am, but when I replumb my car in the next few years I will run hard lines.

I'm thinking hard lines may be cheaper, but time consuming in the long run compared to running steel braided from A to B. Thanks for the clarifications though guys!

There is a reason the lines in race cars are mostly hardlines under the car and steel braided on the parts where they need to flex a bit ...... And why the FIA demands it some classes ... If you change the lines keep hard lines under the car. and steel braide the rest

Edited by frank280zx

There is a reason the lines in race cars are mostly hardlines under the car and steel braided on the parts where they need to flex a bit ...... And why the FIA demands it some classes ... If you change the lines keep hard lines under the car. and steel braide the rest

Whats your best suggestion on doing this? Essentially, you would have to replicate the stock hardline and its bends. I would think the easiest way to do this would be to bend it to shape before you put it in the car and just bolt it up?

And just for the record, I've heard of guys running 400hp with the stock 240z hard lines, also without a surge tank.

• 5 months later...

Methinks Mr. C is incorrect. The chassis fuel lines are 8mm. The fuel feed to pump is 12mm (7/16") on a 280Z tank, and the return is 8mm (5/16").

The lines on a 240 and 260Z are 8mm, with an 8mm return on a 260Z, and a 4mm return on a 240Z (5/16, 3/16)

Vent lines on ALL 240,260, 280Z's are 6mm (1/4")---using the vent line as your return has worked for many EFI conversions in 240Z Chassis, the dinky 3/16" line won't flow right at idle (full bypass).

Edited by Tony D

It might depend on the model S30. My 1970 has an 8mm feed and a 4mm return hard line. 280Zs might have a larger feed line due to the fuel injection system (?).

EDIT: I have a 280Z tank in the storage. Maybe I'll wander out and measure.

That's what I thought...

Go get that tank John, it's a 7/16" feed for the Bosch Pump. You play hell fitting a 3/8" line on it, 7/16" line (12mm) fits like its made for it...probably 'cause it is! :lol:

From the other post, and the PM's floating out there:

The hard lines in the chassis are 5/16" (8mm) for feed and return to the engine respectively, and 6mm (1/4") for the vapor or EVAP line.

The 280Z fuel tank has 15mm, 12mm, 8mm, & 6mm fittings on it for Vapor Recovery/Transfer, Fuel Pump Feed & Fuel Return, vapor accumulation/EVAP cannister and small high point vent lines respectively. These sizes roughly convert to 5/8", 7/16", 5/16", & 1/4" fuel tubing.

The 260Z tank has the same vapor line sizes as well as vapor/EVAP, but Feed to pump is 8mm, and return to the tank is 8mm (5/16") FUEL FEED TO PUMP IS THE FITTING CLOSEST TO THE FILLER NECK (do not swap them or you run out of gas at 1/2 tank! Don't even ask! <_< )

The 240Z tank has the same vapor/EVAP line sizes, but feed to the pump is 8mm, and the return is 4mm (5/16" and 3/16" respectively)

The tanks from 69 to 6/76 (regular fuel non-restrictor neck fill fittings) all have the same fuel fill size spigot, and after that they get smaller. Fairlady Z's all have the same gas tank filler spigots as they didn't have a change in fuel tank size and kept a full size spare from day one to the end. I don't know that diameter, nor do I care.

Edited by Tony D