HybridZ

Z31 Issue!

73DatsunZ

The car is a 1987 300zx auto non turbo. I have a few problems that need fixing quick.

The car is idling very rough (was told it was the tps?)

Also. I was following my brother driving it down the road and looked like the cat killed itself and some little pieces out of the exhaust came out on fire. I told him to pull over, and the exhaust was RED HOT all the way out to the muffler. The exhaust is stock!

I really don't want to have to buy another car because I love my Z car. I think its over fueling or under fueling? Any push in the right direction would help greatly! Thank you Hybrid Z!

The car is a 1987 300zx auto non turbo. I have a few problems that need fixing quick.

That's problems number 1 and 2 ;)

The car is idling very rough (was told it was the tps?)

I doubt it. Sounds more like you need a tune up or timing. The CHTS is a possible culprit also.

Also. I was following my brother driving it down the road and looked like the cat killed itself and some little pieces out of the exhaust came out on fire. I told him to pull over, and the exhaust was RED HOT all the way out to the muffler. The exhaust is stock!

Maybe the cat did die :D Does the car run better now?

I really don't want to have to buy another car because I love my Z car. I think its over fueling or under fueling?

That just about covers the possibilities. Have you checked your spark plugs? I know pulling the plugs on a z31 is a PITA but you need to see what's going on in the combustion chambers.

The z31 also has an onboard diagnostics system. Download an FSM from Xenon to learn the procedure.

BTW you need to be a little more descriptive in your titles or your post could be locked by the mods.

if the exhaust is as hot as you state then fuel is burning in the exhaust not the cylinder as it supposed to or had a bunch of carbon in there that caught on fire or a bird nest. Check on the ignition timing. Did you just acquire the car or it has been running and then gave you problems.

I have had the car for some time now, but its becoming more problematic as time goes on. It has 133k miles on it, and its unusual. I will check the plugs, and look into the other options you listed above and see how it goes! I will be more descriptive on my next post title

• 3 weeks later...

replace the cat converter as its clogged and causing the car to run rough and problably 99 percent of ur problems and place ur o2 sensor as well....if the exhaust even close to being as hot as u described then the bricks inside r melted for sure as check for any signs of the engine overheating as well