HybridZ

Z at last

Hey guys,

I have been waiting a long time for this post.

After scouring the Internet for almost a year, considering shipping from CA, AZ and beyond.

I have finally found "The One" in my own back yard (Boston/Quincy, MA).

For the record I have been on Craigslist every single day searching in a 250 mile radius for the perfect S30.

At 7:00pm on March 5th 2010 I bought her.

My 1973 Datsun 240z

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

More pics to come.

What a day.

-=XD=-

Hey guys,

I have been waiting a long time for this post.

After scouring the Internet for almost a year, considering shipping from CA, AZ and beyond.

I have finally found "The One" in my own back yard (Boston/Quincy, MA).

For the record I have been on Craigslist every single day searching in a 250 mile radius for the perfect S30.

At 7:00pm on March 5th 2010 I bought her.

My 1973 Datsun 240z

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

More pics to come.

What a day.

-=XD=-

nice!!! congrats

I'm sure its hard to tell from the pics but the previous owner took excellent care of her. All it needs is a little paint and some body touchups and shell be a real showpiece. Especially when you factor in the car being from the northeast. Rust free cars are unheard of up here. I am truly blessed to have found her.

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided that I hate the five different colors on my car and opted for two. The **** brown that it came in, and Flat dark gray primer.

I sanded down every last little bit of rusted metal (which is only a little in terms of the whole car but was still a lot of work). I pulled out all of the carpets and all of the "insulation" and cleaned and dried everything from the rain (shitty seals). I re ran a bunch of wires cleaned a ton of crap out of the car and vacuumed the carpets. Gutted the shitty stereo system and repaired the Rear strut tower cap. I think she looks like a million bucks comparatively.

Check it.

**** Stereo:

IMG_2526.JPG

**** Wiring:

IMG_2528.JPG

**** Primer:

IMG_2535.JPG

More of above:

IMG_2537.JPG

Wow this is shitty:

IMG_2540.JPG

So I tore out the carpets and the stereo:

IMG_2556.JPG

Pulled the carpets from the front and clean an absurd amount of **** out from under the carpets:

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

LOL Yes that's a road flare from the 70s.

IMG_2550.JPG

This is the "Insulation" (Dead Raccoon):

IMG_2583.JPG

Fixed and cleaned rear carpet:

IMG_2619.JPG

Driver:

IMG_2593.JPG

Pass:

IMG_2592.JPG

And sanded and primed all of the **** from above:

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

Wow I'm sore now. Time for beers.

Nice find! A clean Z anywhere on the eat coast is a real gem. You'll eventually want to take the rubber insulation on the floor pans off to check for rust underneath. Mine looked good too but when I got to the metal I had a little surprise.

Good luck!

Yeah here are the floors. Theres definitely a little rust around the grommets on the passenger side. All in all I think they are very manageable.

What do you guys think?

Driver:

IMG_2532.JPG

Pass:

IMG_2579.JPG

Let me tell you right now, after pulling sound deadener off of two pairs of floors, DO NOT think for a second you don't have rust. I can almost guarantee you have rust on that passenger side.

For example:

Exhibit A:

102_8694.jpg

Exhibit B:

102_8696.jpg

This is a good example of pure idiocy. Someone decided to fix a small problem, but instead, created a very, very large problem.

Wow. Look at that! I didn't realize that I wasn't looking at the floor.

haha woops!

Now that you show me that I am sure there is rust on the passenger floor as well.

Hopefully the driver side isn't as bad.

I'll have to tear it all up when I get it into the garage.

Thanks for the tips tho. I might not have known to look under there and fix it if you hadn't told me about it.

If it is all rusted. Should I just Cut all of the rust out and weld in a replacement floor pan?

I'm just curious what the best course of action is so I don't just make it worse in the long run.

Thanks for the help guys! :D

I found my passenger side looking like yours but a little worse. I started peeling off the sound deadener installed by the factory (like yours) and that was really all of my floor! If they had done the whole floor in that stuff but thicker instead of the metal - well maybe we would still have floors!

You are going to have to strip all of that stuff and look underneath your car to check the condition of the floor rails! I screwdriver or old knife that punch through metal will reveal the extent of your rust.

Depending on what you find will depend on how far you have to go in repairs. If your rust is confined to small areas and patches can be welded in to good metal - go for it. If yours are like mine and Jacob80's, then you should go with zeddfindings complete floor pans. Baddog sells heavy duty floor rails for a good price and is up in your neck of the woods!I am going with Baddog rails and zedfindings floorpans(not using his rails). $250 for both floor pans and $85 a side for Baddog rails. Plus shipping.

Look in the fabrication section for various floor repairs and install pics. Advise there is to do one floor at a time. Even if you are unable to weld, you can do all of the prep work for the welder to save a lot of money.

The easiest way that I found to get rid of that rubber stuff is to let dry ice sit on it for 10 mins or so and then whack it with a rubber mallet. Comes flying off in chunks!!

That sounds good. I'll definitely wait until I get into my garage (end of June cross my fingers).

I found my passenger side looking like yours but a little worse. I started peeling off the sound deadener installed by the factory (like yours) and that was really all of my floor! If they had done the whole floor in that stuff but thicker instead of the metal - well maybe we would still have floors!

You are going to have to strip all of that stuff and look underneath your car to check the condition of the floor rails! I screwdriver or old knife that punch through metal will reveal the extent of your rust.

Depending on what you find will depend on how far you have to go in repairs. If your rust is confined to small areas and patches can be welded in to good metal - go for it. If yours are like mine and Jacob80's, then you should go with zeddfindings complete floor pans. Baddog sells heavy duty floor rails for a good price and is up in your neck of the woods!I am going with Baddog rails and zedfindings floorpans(not using his rails). $250 for both floor pans and $85 a side for Baddog rails. Plus shipping.

Look in the fabrication section for various floor repairs and install pics. Advise there is to do one floor at a time. Even if you are unable to weld, you can do all of the prep work for the welder to save a lot of money.

That's great information hemi! Thanks. Hopefully I luck out in the framerails department but still all I have done is a visual inspection. Looks like I have some more work ahead of me. :D