HybridZ

Seats: 240z vs S2000

Icehound

What do you think?

I'm in a quandary and am unsure which seats to use in my 1972 240z. I have a set of old original 240z seats and I also have a set of Honda S2000 seats in good condition. The S2000 seats cost me $500 and it may take up to $1000 to install given fabrication - they are comfortable and they look good. I can recondition the 240z seats myself using MSAs Upholstery Kit for $224 and they would keep at least that part of the car classic, no fabrication costs, no issues with seat sliding restrictions (I'm 6'4", have long legs and I fit well with the originals) - the only thing I wonder about 240s is comfort on long trips for I will be driving the car allot. Can anyone give me any advice on the matter?

Yeah I know, can't make a decision, what can I do... :) I would be interested in what people have to say though, it would help allot.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Edited by Icehound

Since you already paid for the S2000 seats, I'd normally go with them. I wouldn't think it should be that difficult to fab up brackets to the 240 brackets. I went with reconditioned 240 seats in my 280. True, they don't have the lumbar support and comfort of newer seats. Guess it's just a matter of personal taste and thickness of your wallet. I'm 6'2. My Z had some butt-ass ugly seats from a MR2 when I bought it. They had all sorts of adjustments. But since the cockpit of a S30 is tight (between the doors and center console), I didn't feel the need for high side bolsters. The orignal seats are easier to get in & out of the Z, and I just like the looks. No rice cooker look here. I also put in a 240 steering wheel. I like the old school look on the interior, with updates on the exterior (paint, wheels, spoilers front & rear).

lmao.gif

Seat installs can easily run $500-$1000 for a shop to do depending on the car, seat and how concerned the driver is with getting it just right.

I actually refused to do seat installs in my shop because people were not willing to pay for the time it took to do it right, and I wasn't about to cut corners and take liability on for an inexpensive, substandard installation. Seats are part of the occupant crash protection system, don't cut corners.

Are you telling me...you can get $1000 to get s2000 seats into a s30? I am not busting balls here but what does it take to get seats in a car once you have the seats already that I am missing to get to $1000.....$100 part and $900 labor? I would expect the avg car guy to spend 5-7 hours figuring out how they want to mount the seats and get it done. Seats bolt to the stock location in the car. If you are talking about cutting out mounts and rewelding making everything custom then that is a different story....but just to get the seats in the car for a driver....can be done cheap without saftey being a concern.

Edited by EvilC

Since the OP is 6'4", I would bet all the stock mounting needs to come out, the floor pans reinforced and brackets built to adapt those seats to his car. That could be an easy 10 hours depending upon the fitment and with shop rates running around $80-$120/hour, thats and easy $800 right there.

Are you telling me...you can get $1000 to get s2000 seats into a s30? I am not busting balls here but what does it take to get seats in a car once you have the seats already that I am missing to get to $1000.....$100 part and $900 labor? I would expect the avg car guy to spend 5-7 hours figuring out how they want to mount the seats and get it done. Seats bolt to the stock location in the car. If you are talking about cutting out mounts and rewelding making everything custom then that is a different story....but just to get the seats in the car for a driver....can be done cheap without saftey being a concern.

I'm not saying in every installation it can cost that much, but I've been down that road too many times. Putting in seats into cars with the oddest floorpan/stock mounting config. For one guy I had to lower sections of his floor to get the seat where he wanted it.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would go with the S2000 seats over the stock Z seats. For stock seats, the S2000 seats actually have pretty good bolsters for both your midsection and your thighs whereas the Z seats have nothing to keep you in the seat going around corners above parking lot speeds.

I'm going to be running Sparco seats in my Z and they have been a ***** to mount in the car due to their width. I have 1 Sparco Corsa and 1 Sparco Pro2000 and they are 23.8" and 23.4" wide. They barely fit in the car without rubbing their shoulders over the transmission tunnel and the shoulder not rubbing against the door in its closed position.

I included a crappy MS-paint planning thing I did for the way I've mounted them, which may or may not help you mount your S2000 seats since I doubt you'd want to cutout the stock front seat mounts and weld in DOM tubes with thick reinforced spreader plates.

post-2934-12694519485407_thumb.jpg

post-2934-12694519623939_thumb.jpg

post-2934-12694519743479_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks Guys! After reading all your comments and after some pondering I think I'm going to go with the S2000 seats. I like the fact that you don't necessarily have to do any fabrication on the tunnel, which is a concern and a costly one at that. I will still get it professionally done but just the bracket and tell them to fit it keeping the clearance. One fellow I know who does fabrication told me that you can replace the S2000 factory sliders with Recaro sliders in order to further lower the seats. He indicates that the sliders in the below thread are Recaros.

Again much thanks! Dave

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=431345

Edited by Icehound

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought about this swap as well since my Z has some cheapo aftermarket seats.

I have an S2000 and the seats are fantastic (Recaros). Road trips, autocross, whatever. They are very supportive, well bolstered and leather (blue/red/black).

Its also why thieves target them and why you'll find them on craigslist for $500. As an aftermarket 'mod' I think they're a little played out and Im tired of seeing every other EK Civic and Integra with stolen S2000 seats. Those two things considered I think I'll just end up using a quality aftermarket seat (Bride, Sparco, Recaro).

Edited by rnye

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I was careful about where and who I bought them from. I found a legitimate deal and made sure I had a signed declaration from the woman before I took possession. The ironic thing is her S2000 was stolen two weeks after I bought the seats.

I'm willing to take the risk for the comfort.

• 5 months later...

Yeah I was careful about where and who I bought them from. I found a legitimate deal and made sure I had a signed declaration from the woman before I took possession. The ironic thing is her S2000 was stolen two weeks after I bought the seats.

I'm willing to take the risk for the comfort.

I saw your car at Speedware, great looking seats and install. I've been debating on having the stock seats reshaped with extra foam or going with S2000 or 350z seats myself.

Thanks. :) Yes Speedware installed them well. You loose a couple of inches forward and I wouldn't be able to wear a helmet inside the car but that's fine, they did minimal cutting to get them in nicely. The install cost me $700.00. Here are a couple of photos of them installed and one of the outside merely because I’m so dam proud of it... :)

post-4193-029173100 1295389101_thumb.jpg

post-4193-026403600 1295389116_thumb.jpg

post-4193-086244900 1295499237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Icehound

Yeah, Speedware is expensive, they are used to rich Mircosoft ex programmer management types who think they can buy cool. $30,000.00 suspension upgrades on 1/4 Million full retromods etc. It's amazing to walk around there to see what people throw money at, it also makes you feel better that there are those who are much bigger fools than you are. :)

You can check their Facebook page for they have some pics there, I didn't take them so I can't post them.

Cheers

Dave

I didn't want to get into much fabrication - $. You know it is kind of nice to be a little higher in such a low car, you can see a bit more, you (men) have a bit more shoulder room at the window and the arm rest placement is better because your elbow is a bit higher - and we all know how rock hard those things are. :) Beyond that there isn't much difference - it would have been nice to have the stock leg room though. -D

Holy jesus, $700?!

Happen to have any pictures of how they're mounted?

As I said earlier in the thread, this is not surprising, nor is it a rip off, nor is it out of line with industry. This is a custom job, it's going to take a few hours (especially if the customer is present to test fit) and at $100+/hr it's going to cost you.

Anyone who thinks this is a rip off has 1) never paid for a repair, and 2) never tried to make a living off of making repairs.