HybridZ

280z bumper shocks

dmwstuff - and others, just loosen the Phillips screw at the outer end of the shock. Maybe slowly if there is still gas in there. It wont go flying out of there, but I would not put myself in the way. I found this by mistake many years ago when I was attempting to take the thing apart - I mistakenly thought that the piece that the bumper bolted onto was removable.

I attempted this last week on the shock that I did not let the gas out years ago - it was empty!

After the gas is out, you will probably find that the shock will not retract - because its been stuck in that position for many years. I loosened mine up with some PB Blaster and some whacks with a BFH. I can slide them in and out to where I want them and will most likely weld them in the position that I like on the tube portion. This has been covered here - with pics even!

I have seen weights for these things from 8lbs to 15 lbs each. I guy I trust with a 260Z posted 13 lbs.

Oldhemi is spot on. They do weigh a considerable amount. Best case, remove them and fab up some aluminum mounts for your 240 bumpers. I removed all four of my mounts for this year, along with a fair amount of other things. Came up with a gross savings of 141# for this year. Pounds per horsepower is the name of the game.

Bill

Do some more searching and you'll find a guy who fabricates conversion brackets. Here's a link to the store, but the brackets are currently unavailable. I would email them and see how long the wait is. I had to wait about a month, but it was worth it.

http://www.zccjdm.com/store.php?seller=azcarbum&pd=1933484

I've heard of people being able to mount to the existing shocks, or taking the shocks out and using the original 240 brackets. My bumpers are from a 73 and have a different front bracket than the earlier 240's, so the easiest way I found was to order the front conversion brackets, and use the original rear 240 brackets. The conversion brackets also allow you to adjust the bumper position for the tightest fit.