HybridZ

Triple carb intake length

yetterben

From recollection Mikuni is short, Cannon is long, and TWM and Nissan Comp were in the middle. I ran a Cannon with Mikuni carbs and Rebello Racing told me I had a better setup than the short Mikuni manifold when I talked to them on the phone about it.

I've got an SK that's 4 1/2" but I've also seen other people list them as 4 1/4" and 3 1/2".

Others I've read but haven't had my hands on:

TWM = 4 1/2" (4" also seen mentioned)

Mikuni = 2 3/4"

RS Compe = 4 3/8"

Hayashi = ?

FET Kyokuto = ?

Nissan Comp = ?

Shokei = ?

Kameari = ?

Redline = ?

Weber = ?

Cannon = approx. 5 1/4" (5 1/2" and 6" also seen mentioned)

Anyone want to help fill in the info I'm missing?

Edited by blue72

Thanks guys. finishing up my turbo blow through with a hks box and the inlet pipe wont fit on the box hits the strut tower so a shorter mani is needed. If anyone has a shorty please hit me up.

Looking At a old far east trading mani

Edited by yetterben

I'm hosed, just got the notice to give another guy a briefing on OH&S induction for Sydney/Eraring. I guess I won't be heading back to Oz.... :(

To yetterben, Okamura said he bid. We'll see how it goes on that FET manifold.

I'm hosed, just got the notice to give another guy a briefing on OH&S induction for Sydney/Eraring. I guess I won't be heading back to Oz.... :(

Sorry to hear that Tony, great time of year and a lovely E32 sittin' here for ya...... :D

Standing offer though! ;)

Edited by ozconnection

I'll just add to the list. Mikuni is the shortest (note picture above) I've seen and it is stamped with the letters that spell the name, in the example the letters are painted red (nice touch). TWM, Cannon and FET also stamp the letters in the casting. SK Racing uses a steel acid etched placard like you might find on the door jam of most cars. Redline has it scripted on the bottom and Lynx has no markings that I recall. The real issue with measuring the manifold length is the head mounting surface isn't on a parallel plane as the carb mounting surface. So the two mounting surfaces don't run parallel to each other. For example the Mikuni measures 75 mm on the top and 68 on the bottom. So, I will give you the measurements from the top of each mounting flange of the manifold (not inside the hole where it bolts to the head but above it) for standardization and also note other things (like truing) will change how this measurement is interpreted. I will also include millimeters as we are working on Metric cars not American iron. My side drafts are stamped in millimeters not inches, how bout yours?

Cannon, Redline and others like the one that I have heard called the Nissan/Datsun motor-sports intake which is stamped with a 240Z in the same location as the Redline script, are all the same casting, or really close to it. TWM, SK Racing and Nissan Comp are the same with some differences and FET is really close to the same length as the TWM but has a nasty twist like the Mikuni version. Rebello is correct the longer runners are better for street use, all out HP go short with the Mikuni but good luck finding anyone that will part with one. So the best solution is the TWM as it is a nice hybrid version of the two manifolds and has no massive twist and is readably available as of lately...but haven't checked in a while.

TWM = 110 mm/(4 5/16")

Mikuni = 75 mm/(2 15/16")

RS Compe = 110 mm/(4 3/8")

Hayashi = ?

FET Kyokuto = 104 mm/(4 1/4")

Nissan Comp = 110 mm/(4 3/8")

Shokei = ?

Kameari = ?

Redline = 140 mm/(5 1/2")

Weber = ?

Cannon = 141 mm/(5 9/16")

SK Racing = 110 mm/(4 3/8")

Lynx = 122 mm/(4 13/16")

Off the wall no name that looks like a Lynx = 124 mm/(4 7/8")

I need to add that these are not with a dial indicator on a marble slab, just a quickie with vernier calipers and a flat work bench.

Happy measuring!

Edited by brokebolt

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ldickinson78247 said:

Is anyone using a Pierce Manifold?  Having lazy Idle problems with Cannon manifold in hot weather.  Have heard the the balance tube on the cannon and the long length may be the problem.  Could use some help deciding on changes.

The length has nothing to do with it, it's all due to the balance tube and misaligned holes for the throttle rod bearings.

Pierce Manifolds is a vendor, they do not make their own manifolds. I'm guessing you're looking at the TWM manifold that they sell. I run one on my Z, it's definitely better in quality than the Cannon but it took some hogging out to make the ports match, FWIW.