HybridZ

Prime now, or wait for a real paint job???

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Z that is in need of some paint love.

I can't afford to paint it now. I have heard that you should not get a sh*tty paint job "just for now" because then it is a lot more work to strip it and get it ready for the "real" paint job later. My question is, is priming the whole thing different?

I have obviously been touching up the bare/rusty spots with sandpaper and priming over the spots, but she is starting to look like a Zzzombie. Would it cost more to paint it later if I primed the whole thing in black now and drove it around like that? Or, should i just leave it looking like poo until I can afford a proper paint job. I am about 6 months to a year away from throwing down for a top notch paint job.

Here are some pics:

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

-=XD=-

Edited by xonix_digital

In my opinion it would be better to spot prime and fix the small areas now, so they don't spread, and then do the whole thing at once. I had the same problem on a car I just finished and the whole thing at once was more economical way to do it. This way you are paying the have the car primed once, and you are fixing the small stuff and letting the body shop do what they are best at. If you are a year out at most, then just wait, really how much worst can it get in one year if you stay on the small stuff?

Unless you spot prime with epoxy, that sh*tty spray can stuff will just allow moisture to penetrate underneath, which in turn will allow rust to develop. After you sand down the pitted rusted areas, wash them down with PPG metal prep to treat the metal. Then I would at least use zinc chromate primer in a spray can if you can find it instead of that spray lacquer primer.

Edited by Scott_M67

I agree with the others and vote for correctly spot priming the car to at least keep the rust minimal and stop spreading.

I had a question for you OP, I noticed you were from Beantown. I'm from RI and can't find a solid 240 anywhere near here lol. Any suggestions? Where did you pick yours up if you don't mind me asking.

I agree with the others and vote for correctly spot priming the car to at least keep the rust minimal and stop spreading.

I had a question for you OP, I noticed you were from Beantown. I'm from RI and can't find a solid 240 anywhere near here lol. Any suggestions? Where did you pick yours up if you don't mind me asking.

Hey man. All I can say is good luck. I literally looked so much for so long that I gave up! Then by chance stumbled back in for a quick peek on craigslist and there she was.

I got so lucky that I couldn't really give you much good advice. I was going to ship a 75+ 280z from the west coast since a lot of them have a hard time passing smog and are cheap. You can get one shipped to RI from CA for under $1k, and you can find nice 280zs for around $1800. That puts you lower than what I paid for this one local.

But to answer your question I picked it up from a real Z enthusiast in Quincy, MA. The guy was a real wealth of knowledge and really hooked me up.

Best of luck in your search. When you find the right one you will just know.

As for the Priming I am starting to agree. I will properly treat all of the spots that are left and get a better primer. Can't be effing around with the climates around here being the way they are.

Edited by xonix_digital

Hey man. All I can say is good luck. I literally looked so much for so long that I gave up! Then by chance stumbled back in for a quick peek on craigslist and there she was.

I got so lucky that I couldn't really give you much good advice. I was going to ship a 75+ 280z from the west coast since a lot of them have a hard time passing smog and are cheap. You can get one shipped to RI from CA for under $1k, and you can find nice 280zs for around $1800. That puts you lower than what I paid for this one local.

But to answer your question I picked it up from a real Z enthusiast in Quincy, MA. The guy was a real wealth of knowledge and really hooked me up.

Best of luck in your search. When you find the right one you will just know.

As for the Priming I am starting to agree. I will properly treat all of the spots that are left and get a better primer. Can't be effing around with the climates around here being the way they are.

Hey man thanks for the advice. I haven't been looking for too long (about 4 months) so I guess it would be best to remain patient.

Sidenote, do you know of any Z clubs/meets in the Boston/RI area? I'd love to meet/cruise with other Zs when I get mine.

Hey man thanks for the advice. I haven't been looking for too long (about 4 months) so I guess it would be best to remain patient.

Sidenote, do you know of any Z clubs/meets in the Boston/RI area? I'd love to meet/cruise with other Zs when I get mine.

I know there's a huge club in CT but that's about it. I've posted on here asking about that but found noone.

Looks like its just you and me homie.

haha

I know there's a huge club in CT but that's about it. I've posted on here asking about that but found noone.

Looks like its just you and me homie.

haha

Haha yea dude I've heard of CTZCC but that's about it. And yeah that's what it seems like lol if/when I get my Z I'd be down for some Summer cruising around Beantown.

Driving around with the car fully primered would be bad. Primer does protect the metal, BUT it needs protection itself. Usually by the topcoat and clearcoat. Primer doesn't contain UV inhibitors/blockers FYI.

Get some colour match rattle can paint made from a local paint supplier (uap, Napa, carquest etc) under $30 for a can. It will help protect the primer, and look way better in the meantime.

I grew up south of Boston, but live in NH now. We have a pretty good club up here. Mostly S30s. Let us know if you need help finding a car or parts.

Pete

Yeah def. I signed up on your forum so I could check you guys out.

It's great to finally find the local clubs!

ZR8ED That's actually a really good idea. I'll look into that!

Thanks.

Hey I registered on the forum a couple days ago and it won't let me post or anything. I get this message saying my acct needs to get validated. Any help?

I just enabled your account, thanks for joining.

Pete