HybridZ

Rotating Assembly Balancing

pcakes55

When balancing the crankshaft, is it balanced with the balancer/front pulley attatched to it? Or do they balance the pulley by itself?

I.E. can I have everything balanced minus the pulley, put a majority of the motor back together, and then when my pulley is delivered have that balanced by itself?

No, the crank can be balanced by it's self.

At least let me say this, I had to have a crank balenced with clay in order to have my flywheel balanced. I don't know why.

Don't forget to balance/lighten the flywheel, and the pressure plate.

I think what Woldson is refering to is when they spin the crank and see a spot thats out of balance, they place a ball of clay the same weight that needs to be removed on the opposite side and re-spin it to make sure it reads a perfect balance. I think it's an over-kill step to make sure that the machine is accurate before actually drilling into the crank to remove weight, but a good shop will take this extra step. However, I'm not sure what this would have to do with the flywheel..

For some reason he needed the crank attached to the flywheel to balance the flywheel, he did know that the it is internally balanced. Since I did not know why, I added it.

Sounds familiar. The automotive machine shop I have used for several L6 rebuilds cannot rotate (spin) the L series harmonic damper or flywheel by themselves (because they’re not small-block Chevy parts). They need something to bolt them to that they can rotate, hence the crankshaft is needed as well.

The flywheel (or harmonic damper) balancing procedure is to first balance the crankshaft with clay or bob weights, then mount the flywheel and check for imbalance. If necessary the flywheel is balanced. Then the pressure plate is then added and balanced as needed. If the machinist is good then he will also insist on checking the damper as well for imbalance.