HybridZ

Thermostat Sensors?

ZBoost

I went to the parts store to pick up what I thought I needed, a Temp Switch and Coolant Temp Sensor. When I went to put it on the threads were to small. It only fits on the Head Temp Location on the lower passanger side bottom of the motor. Does any one know what sensor is which on the thermo stat and were you can get this or Part number.

I went to the parts store to pick up what I thought I needed, a Temp Switch and Coolant Temp Sensor. When I went to put it on the threads were to small. It only fits on the Head Temp Location on the lower passanger side bottom of the motor. Does any one know what sensor is which on the thermo stat and were you can get this or Part number.

One of them is almost certainly your sending unit for the temperature gauge. Another one often placed there is the thermal switch for the injector cooling fan. The sending unit is typically a two-part assembly that is difficult to pull apart after years installed in the engine. There is a smooth sided part that holds the business part of the sensor and a threaded sleeve that slides over it for mounting.

If you know which one you need, part numbers are not too difficult to find.

Good luck!

Just incase anyone else needed the info, I managed to search all night last night and find one picture with some info and figure out the rest from other post.

[1980 280ZX] -----------------------------------

Green Single Wire - Aux. Injector Fan.

--On the Thermostat housing.

Other Single Wire - Sender to Temp Gauge.

Thermal Vacuum Valve - Part of Vacuum System / Emissions stuff?

Bigger 2-Head Plug - Thermotime Switch.

Small 2-Head Plug - Head Temp Sensor.

--This is the Sensor near Cylinder #5 to the left of Oil Filter.

If this info is wrong please correct me. If not someone else will have it all in one spot this time. ;)

Edited by ZBoost

Let me clarify my first post. There is only one sender for your gauge. The "other single wire-sender to temp gage" in your post [yellow wire] has two different part numbers depending on if you have a digital or analog instrument cluster. If you get the wrong replacement sending unit it will throw off the display on your gauge by about half. Thats a mistake I made recently I was trying to help you avoid.

Let me clarify my first post. There is only one sender for your gauge. The "other single wire-sender to temp gage" in your post [yellow wire] has two different part numbers depending on if you have a digital or analog instrument cluster. If you get the wrong replacement sending unit it will throw off the display on your gauge by about half. Thats a mistake I made recently I was trying to help you avoid.

But I have two Single wire sensors on my thermostat housing, one has a yellow wire like you stated and one has a disconnect.

Is the Single wire sensor with he disconnect the sensor for the water temp. gauge in the cluster?

So if you went to the store and got a Coolant Temp Sensor is that the one near the Cylinder #5? I hope so cause I purchased one and thats the only place it would fit. :(

Yah that is what I had for my two Thermostat sensors also. Green was Injector blower other was temp gauge. Mine is analog I believe.

Edited by ZBoost

The sensor at #5 is the cylinder head temp. sensor. That gives your ecu a reading of engine temp. that it uses to determin cold starting enrichment of the injectors. That sensor is very sensitive to poor or coroded connections and will cause very rough idle and poor overall performance.

I did have some difficulty with my local Advanced Auto Parts getting the correct coolant temp sensor. They had it listed as the Thermal Time Switch in thier system. It really helps if they can display an image of the part you are ordering to make sure it's the one you need.

Or have them crossreference Nissan part#'s

25080-F5000 for digital dash

25080-89900 for analog dash

While your at it make sure the conections on all the sensors are clean and free of any green corosion that builds up on the brass contacts. Having good clean connections at the CHTS,TPS,AFM and the injector connectors can really improve idle, throttle response, and overall performance.

Remember that the temperature gauge sending unit comes in 2 pieces - a threaded sleeve and the sending unit itself. None of the others are that way. These should still be available from the dealer. The Nissan part number is 22630-N4200. It retails for $29.10, but most folks can get a 20% discount and get it for $23.28.

Tom

Fairfax, VA

I need to grab the Part numbers I have of the new ones see what they are really for this is seeming like a lot of trouble just to get some simple sensors. Good news to though was I already replaced all the connectors so no more worries there!

Edited by ZBoost