HybridZ

My Custom Dash

tonycharger72

I decided I needed a new dash, so I whipped up the below plug ready for fibreglass.

I based it on an old Z dash I had kicking around. I saw a custom Dash in a Z based on a 250 GTO Dash, which I really liked the look off, so I made mine to look vaguely the same. However, mine has a large centre section just in case I wanted to stuff in a large TV screen :-)!

There is a really good build of a front spoiler on this forum where the fellow uses expanding foam and then cuts it down to shape, I used the same basic process in the initial stages of making my dash plug.

Anyways, enjoy!

120220101484640x480.jpg

130220101487640x480.jpg

130220101493640x480.jpg

160320101581640x480.jpg

160320101580640x480.jpg

160320101579640x480.jpg

160320101578640x480.jpg

160320101577640x480.jpg

160320101576640x480.jpg

160320101575640x480.jpg

well, we can see that dpwong knows how to quote.

Perhaps next time he'll chose to add something too...

Yes, im a Canberra boy too, i am on southside and work in a parts store in Fyshwick.

As for 'random' things in the wheelie bins, i once disposed of an entire bare car shell in one.

Peice by peice, over a period of about 6 months.

They clued on near the end and sent me a council warning :lol:

Edited by Nizm0Zed

As for 'random' things in the wheelie bins, i once disposed of an entire bare car shell in one.

Peice by peice, over a period of about 6 months.

They clued on near the end and sent me a council warning :lol:

Hehehehe, that made me laugh :-)!

Now it is time to dispose of the engine oil down the drain and turn on the sprinker to give my drive-way a wash :-)!

Thinking about the dash design and I don't know if it is that much of an improvement over the original, allows me to situate all the gauges in front of the driver and stuff a TV screen in the dash, but not convinced it is all that good looking compared to the original!

Also, I was going for a different look - originally started out with something like this in mind!

m6-interior.jpg

BUT............to difficult to create those sorts of complex shapes with Foam, I need to go back to the drawing board me thinks and work out a way to construct that basic frame, maybe with steel and plywood - then bog over the top to make it smooth and ready for fibreglass, or maybe even Carbon Fibre!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, truthfully that left me scratching my head.

With all the recycling centers available nowadays( I presume in Oz too since it's not REALLY a third world country -:) ), was thinking that it would just be terribly lazy and nasty to do such a thing. But I guess he 'got' me.

Cheers!

Hehehehe, that made me laugh :-)!

Now it is time to dispose of the engine oil down the drain and turn on the sprinker to give my drive-way a wash :-)!

Thinking about the dash design and I don't know if it is that much of an improvement over the original, allows me to situate all the gauges in front of the driver and stuff a TV screen in the dash, but not convinced it is all that good looking compared to the original!

Also, I was going for a different look - originally started out with something like this in mind!

m6-interior.jpg

BUT............to difficult to create those sorts of complex shapes with Foam, I need to go back to the drawing board me thinks and work out a way to construct that basic frame, maybe with steel and plywood - then bog over the top to make it smooth and ready for fibreglass, or maybe even Carbon Fibre!

Idea: get ahold of a nasty old steering wheel or two and strip the insulation off of the steel core, and use them as arcs to form the outlying upper plane. You could cover both sides of the wheel with fiberglass cloth, one side at a time, with bucks or props or whatever the term might be to help give it an approximation of the final shape, and then resin up that side, and then set up any similar inner supports for the opposite side (if two sides need "shaping") and lay a second sheet of glass.

BTW, I read the first "wheelie bin" comment and had to go back and review the photos to see if I could guess WTF you were talking about.. I made myself proud :) Aussies and Kiwis have the best lingo of any English speakers in the world.

we may not have invented english, but we have refined it to a grouse world standard, ey bloke? :lol:

interesting wheelie bin fact for my northern hemisphere bros, in the majority of my independent testing, on average the wheels of the bin tend to fly off around 80-85kph every time.

At 100kph, they are also quite difficult to hold onto as they get enough air flowing around and under them to generate their own lift.

the things you learn when your mates just get a drivers licence huh?