HybridZ

Emissions! What is and Is not needed?

ZBoost

Guys I have been searching for a few days now while at work and I just have one pretty simple question. What extra Emissions, Vacuum and EGR stuff can be removed and shaved from the intake and under the hood. I have not exactly found any one say what can be removed, but instead pictures of their intakes showing what they did and how they look. Just looking to clean up under the hood and get rid of un-needed parts.

I have alot of extra junk on my intake that I dont see most people use. It is probably broke or inop anyway. I live in houston so cold start and all that is not to much to worry about and this is not my daily. So any one who could chime in and help me better understand what some of the things are and do and is not needed. Im just looking to learn and there is alot od knowledge here. It would be much appreciated. :D

Edited by ZBoost

none of it is neccesary. I removed all of the stuff on my motor, including the EGR (switched to an N42 intake) Basically, all you need on the intake manifold (speaking with the early EFI with the screw for adjusting the idle on the Throttle Body itself) here's an example of what I had done:

DSC03645.jpg

And this was using the stock EFI.

Also my Throttle Body has two places where the hoses come out I cannot figure out what they are called or where they go. Mine is a P71 280ZX 1980 US Federal Model all original.

Found this post helped me a ton! Took me full day of searching to stumble on it. After reading this and most other post alot of it came together.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/67673-l28-efi-problems-efi-bible-step-1-a/

Edited by ZBoost

It's been a while since I had a stock setup, but I think I can remember most of it on an N/A car to help you pretty quickly....

1)3/8" hose nipple on top of the throttle body goes to the inlet (toward front of car) of the air regulator

2) 3/8" nipple on bottom of throttle body goes to outlet (toward front of car) of the idle speed adjustment housing on the middle side of the intake

3)One of the 7/64" nipples on bottom front of the throttle body goes to canister purge valve on the passenger side behind the headlight bucket

4) The other 7/64" nipple on the bottom goes to the feed of the ported vacuum switch that is mounted on the thermostat housing between the CTS & thermotime switch

5)The 7/64" nipples on this ported vac switch go to various temperature related vacuum devices like the vacuum tank (passenger side), the BCDD (under the intake), & EGR valve, etc.

6) The 7?64" vac line #2 on the canister behind the passenger headlight bucket goes to the distibutor vacuum advance diaphram with a one way check valve in between

7)5/8" hose connected to the valve cover nipple goes to a 5/8" elbow in the boot between the airflow meter & the TB with a funky metal "tree" in between that connects to inlet of the idle speed adjuster & outlet of the air regulator (both toward rear of car)

8)1" block breather pipe/ hose that tapers to 5/8" connects to PVC valve on the bottom of the intake at the middle

9)On top of the throttle body next to the return spring, is a block that is connected by 2 phillips screws with a 3'8" hose nipple on both sides, this carries collant through the throttle body to warm it up faster

10)The 5'16" hose coming from the fuel rail to the intake device with a "fuel injector" plug is the cold start valve

And as stated by purepontiackid, with a 75 280Z manny (Non-EGR)& throttle body, all that's really needed w/ stock EFI is cold-start valve, air regulator, & a single vac hose to the vac advance & the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Hope this helps.....

Thank you that all sounds pretty correct and what I was trying to remember before I hacked off. I would like a manny non egr I had a post up. I just think I would have to wait til Friday to make a purchase. I was gonna try and have a shop fill mine.

What does everyone use to shave theirs cause man I have been at it for a pretty good amount of time and Im pretty close but I cant seem to get into the small cracks. I cant find anything strong enough to grind it down.

No problem, I'll send you a PM with my PayPal info for when you want the manifold next week, you have dibs my man! Best thing IMO to shave the manifold is a belt sander w/ 120 grit paper & for crevices a high speed rotary tool (15,000+ RPM) w/ various grinding stones, then finish it off by hand ( I know, I know) w/ 320 grit emory paper for best results. Then you can paint or polish the aluminum & it is slick as a minnow's belly!

Honestly, removing stuff will not help the ZX's performance nor drivability nor mileage. If it's running well enough then leave it alone. Seriously. B)

The problem is the stuff is leaking / broken and is not really drivable. I am just replacing a bunch of stuff cutting it out to drive for a little while. My subaru has some bad turbo seals and that is my daily. I don't wanna risk it. So I figured time for bigger turbo! After that the ZX is getting cut down and time for a new motor. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...