HybridZ

What Is The Last Year 240Z?

I haven't purchased my Z project car just yet. But after reading some smog information for California I relies that gasoline cars 1975 and older, don't have to be smog checked.

This information changes my thoughts I had about getting a 1978 280Z for my project. So now I am looking into my first choice, the 240Z. So what is exactly the last year U.S. 240Z that was made? I looked on Wikipedia and it only gave me a production break down for the 260Z and 280Z. Thank you for your info.

I haven't purchased my Z project car just yet. But after reading some smog information for California I relies that gasoline cars 1975 and older, don't have to be smog checked.

This information changes my thoughts I had about getting a 1978 280Z for my project. So now I am looking into my first choice, the 240Z. So what is exactly the last year U.S. 240Z that was made? I looked on Wikipedia and it only gave me a production break down for the 260Z and 280Z. Thank you for your info.

Model Year 1973. The 260Z was produced for model year 1974 only (US Market)

Yeah, every year.

I have a 1973 240z in California. No, there is no smog requirement.

I highly recommend against buying 1976+ cars unless they run really clean and you plan to leave it almost stock. The seller in the state of California is actually required to get the smog certificate. If you are to buy a 280z, make the seller deal with that. ;)

Otherwise, just get a 240z and change your display name here on the forum.

Yeah, every year.

I have a 1973 240z in California. No, there is no smog requirement.

I highly recommend against buying 1976+ cars unless they run really clean and you plan to leave it almost stock. The seller in the state of California is actually required to get the smog certificate. If you are to buy a 280z, make the seller deal with that. ;)

Otherwise, just get a 240z and change your display name here on the forum.

LOL. Thanks. Yeah I am doing that right now. I am just having a hell of a time finding a 73 240Z to buy.

How many times do Tony and I have to repeat this. NO CAR IS SMOG EXEMPT IN CALIFORNIA!

All cars have to comply with the smog laws applicable to their model year. The only special case is model year 1975 and earlier vehicles. These are exempt for the bi-annual and sale smog inspections BUT THEY ARE NOT EXEMPT FROM THE SMOG LAWS. A police officer, BAR official, DMV employee, the DMV computer (at random or as part of a compliance survey), or a roadside random check can order your car into a smog inspection. You'll have 10 days to get it done and your vehicle will have to comply with all applicable smog laws for its model year.

I understand what you are saying.

Here is my concern with this whole project, I am planning on swapping another Nissan motor into the Z. Now if I go with say a SR20DET or a RB25DET (haven't decided yet), can I pass BAR even with it being a JDM motor and with that said if it does pass since it being a from a newer vehicle, will I then have to get smog checked as normal?

I understand what you are saying.

Here is my concern with this whole project, I am planning on swapping another Nissan motor into the Z. Now if I go with say a SR20DET or a RB25DET (haven't decided yet), can I pass BAR even with it being a JDM motor and with that said if it does pass since it being a from a newer vehicle, will I then have to get smog checked as normal?

No, the sr20det & rb were never brought to U.S. soil in vehicles. They're sold as "off-road" only. This goes for all makes and models of Japanese market vehicles.

How often has this come up for Hybridz Members? I mean... how often have members here been given a date with the ref?

I know there are plenty of 240sx owners who had to swap back to stock motors to visit the ref. I've just never seen a 1975 or older car owner have to make the trip. (although I understand it is a possibility)

You can swap an engine and get it BAR legal. I think this is what Johnc was posting above me. It's it can be done, it will be done again and many more time's I am sure. If you have a 70-74z it will not have the smog equipment and the standards should be lower from what I understand. Non California 75 and 76 car's do not have the smog equipment. I know one an ae86 getting the 4agze swap bar legal running the US market MR2 computer with the argument that the engine is the same that came in his car essentially. They gave him issues because the engine was not originally the same format in the mr2. If there are things I am wrong about here somebody please correct me, I will edit this post. I am just putting in my understanding. I have not lived in California and do not know every law nor have I read any of the BAR or smog stuff.

Whichever is newer, engine or chassis, designates which smog laws you have to comply to.

If you pull an engine from a newer chassis, you are required to have EVERY smog device that came on it. You will have to pass the smog regulations of the donor vehicle.

If the chassis is newer and the engine is older, then you have to make the older engine meet the requirements of the newer chassis. (to the best of my understanding)

The engines he mentioned are not street legal in the US. There are no smog regulations for them, because they weren't sold in California originally and shouldn't even be on the road.

Edited by Hugh

Thanks for all the information everyone. I guess I have to really figure out an alternate engine for my project. One that was made here in the U.S.

L28et, easy enough. Honestly though, I would just go for the RB or SR, if you get busted to bad. No point in not having your fun, you only live once. Maybe keep a spare l28 and wiring on the side if you must swap back and do a quick swap back. That or figure out this 400hp N/A l28 with triples and your set. All I know is if I lived in California I would have a 240z and not a 280z.