HybridZ

Burned transmission fluid or oil in transmission fluid??

I went and looked at a friends car who has already ordered another 700r4. The thing that gets me about it is the transmission fluid looks like oil. It's a brown color and smells like someone mixed transmission fluid and oil... It actually looked as if it was separating, like how water and oil does. He swears no one put oil in it but he's young and probably not the most straight up character. So, my question is I guess how do I tell the difference? It definitely doesn't smell burnt in any way but I've never smelled burnt transmission fluid either. For that matter I've never smelled transmission fluid and oil mixed together but I would think burned transmission fluid would have a distinct burnt smell to it. I appreciate any input!

what kind of friend is it that you don't trust him? burnt oil smells like burnt oil. if you want to know what it is pour some in a pan. heat it on the stove til it catches fire. sniff that you will now know what burnt oil smells like. If you think it looks like oil and whatever it probably is. are we talking auto tranny or manual you didn't specify.

First line of post.......

"I went and looked at a friends car who has already ordered another >>>700r4<<<<"

But my question is why order another trans, untill you know what the problem is, and weather it's easily repairable.....

Edited by jasper

Ok, sorry it took me a while to respond. This is a cousin by marriage.. or something like that. It was just easier for me to call him a friend!

Anyway his transmission is just staying in gear (I think second), meaning it won't switch to 3rd (which is the transmission 1:1 gear if that means anything in particular). It's not slipping, it just won't shift. It's an automatic chevy transmission (700r4). He took it to a shop and they told him the transmission needed to be replaced and quoted him $2500 so he ordered one online and figured I would help him put it in. I really don't have that much time to help him but I went and looked at it and was tossing around the thought that he could just flush the fluid out (whatever it may be) and possibly be back in running condition since whatever is in there probably isn't functioning as the best hydraulic fluid. If the fluid was burnt and I simply didn't recognize the smell then there wouldn't be a point to swapping the fluid out in the transmission that's in there, which is why I'm inquiring.

I guess the consensus is that this probably isn't burnt transmission fluid then since it doesn't smell burnt at all? So then if he did mix transmission fluid and oil could that even give the symptoms I'm describing? I obviously don't know the first thing about transmission troubleshooting. If one goes out I just stab another one in usually!

If the color is not a clear red color but a rather brownish muddy color its burnt. If its burnt then the transmission needs to be replaced.

changing the fluid will not do anything. Some mechanics say that new transmission fluid in an old (80,000 miles +) transmission can cause

slippage and seal leaks as the new detergents in the new transmission fluid clean out the varnish thats built up over the years.

This varnish along with grit and pieces of metal in the old oil provide "grip" for the clutches inside the transmission.