HybridZ

My not so epic Z build, with epic time limit

• 3 weeks later...

Ok sorry I have not updated in awhile I have been very busy at work. I got all the bondo out of the rear quaters, everylast bit, and I now hate the stuff with a passion. I finally got rid of the hesitation on the stock l24, I replaced the cap, button, plugs, wires, starter, alt, set point, and set timing with no luck, then I read the SU forums on classicz and learned that the carbs have fluid in them, needless to say mine was out. Runs like a champ now, and the smoking is gone until about 6krpm.

I do have a question though, when I got my starter put on the little solenoid went out on the fender so I replaced it with one from a ford and got it all wired up, and it went out again, so I had one of my friends come over to help me look into it and he found that I didnt even need that little noid, now bear with me on this I am a stickler for putting things back the wa I found them. When I got the car the starter was going out, it may or may not have been the original but it had a solenoid built onto the starter along with the one on the fender, well my friend bypassed the one on the fender and just made it work off the one on the starter itself. Is this right, or is it going to burn something up, the car starts fine and the starter doesnot stay running when the key is not in the start position.

I also got the N! muffler I ordered in the mail along with some strait pieces and some mandrel U bends I am just waiting on the borla xr-1 I ordered to come in so I can get the exhaust done.

• 2 weeks later...

UGGGGGG, I hate rust, the more I dig into it the more I find, I got the old patch panels out today after a long hiatus of work due to a sinus infection that is going around. I did however get all of the old tar out of the interior and laid in some new seal sealer along all the edges I did not have to replace.

Pics as usual.

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ouch, Man that's a lot of rust. But if you really like the challenge, then keep it up, just remember to treat and seal all the metal you replace. Inside and out is best. even a light coat of primer will buy you time as compared to leaving bare metal exposed, especially behind the exterior panels you replace. A better car to start with will certainly make for an easier job. With what I've seen in your pictures, you probably should really look closely at your frame rails. (they are replaceable too but not cheap) Keep the pictures coming :)

That car looks barely fixable, and it certainly wouldn't be worth it IMO. Having a car that is significantly more solid, I STILL manage to find more rust every time I look at it, and I've had it for a year. If my car is this bad, yours will probably just be a case where you cut away rust, and you're left with nothing. For a little perspective, my car, which has MUCH, MUCH less rust, I am still planning on replacing with a new shell.

If you decide to get a new shell, you should not just send it to the scrapper though. Part it out. Your car is a series 1, and they have numerous series 1 specific parts. Also will be a great way to get at least some of your investment out of it.

Edited by rturbo 930

I wouldn't necessarily say don't start with this, but going into it, just know that you have a LOT of work ahead of you. But, I see it more of a challenger/learning experience more than anything!

Secondly, I am wondering why you bought a fart can before something significant such as new suspension bushing, or quarters, or something that is going to help you make progress. :hs:

LMAO I totally ordered some stuff before I knew it was this bad. I think I may have to scrap this shell, it is supported in the air now on stands and it is wanting to bow down in the middle and I braced it before taking everything off. I think it may just be too far gone, if I could find a clean shell with nothing on it I would be happy but they are hard to come by on this coast.

LMAO I totally ordered some stuff before I knew it was this bad. I think I may have to scrap this shell, it is supported in the air now on stands and it is wanting to bow down in the middle and I braced it before taking everything off. I think it may just be too far gone, if I could find a clean shell with nothing on it I would be happy but they are hard to come by on this coast.

I promise I understand what you are talking about. I found mine for 500. Things wrong here and there and mucho work. My car has come a long way. I finally got it where my 280z harness was in the car today and I actually plugged in up and put the battery in and the wipers and stuff worked. I was super happy. Hopefully I can start it in a few days, maybe next weekend.

• 6 months later...

well I did have to scrap it but that doesnt mean its over with. I still have a good amount of parts, now i just need a shell, like I have everything off of the old car that was still good and most everything that was early s30 so I should be good in that department.