HybridZ

Axles that work with the modern motor sports kit

240zRacer

I have the modern motor sports kit in my 240z that lets me run 1981 280zx turbo cv shafts , however yesterday i snapped one when i tried to launch on drag radials for the first time, i was only launching at 3 grand but it snapped like a twig. I am making 500 whp but i was told that the r200 and these axles can handle that kind of power with ease, so my question is was this a fluke? or do i need stronger axles? if i need better axles who makes them? i can not even locate any out parts stores that can get these discontinued axles. the guy at wolf creek racing sells a set up thats good to 400 hp but it will not work with the modern motor sports conversion as its meant to be a direct bolt in for the old universal shafts. so in conclusion can this set up be made to handle this much power and not fail or do i need to look into a solid rear end swap?

more information: the company fenco list 2 different part numbers for right and left, the company cardone shows 2 part numbers left to right as well, the company gsp shows they are the same part right to left and the nissan dealer i called says his system shows the same part for each side. for every one i had them look up 1980-1983 280zx turbo which are the only years that work i believe, in either case the axles are discontinued for each manufacture.

Where did the shaft break? I don't think any other axle has the same bolt pattern so you'll have to find another 280zxt set. I see them periodically on this site and Ebay. How much torque are you pumping out? You might want to consider upgrading to a stronger Z31t setup. The CVs are known to be stronger. You will have to buy the CV shafts and new Modern Motorsports adapters. If you don't already have 280z axles you'll have to upgrade those too.

Where did the shaft break? I don't think any other axle has the same bolt pattern so you'll have to find another 280zxt set. I see them periodically on this site and Ebay. How much torque are you pumping out? You might want to consider upgrading to a stronger Z31t setup. The CVs are known to be stronger. You will have to buy the CV shafts and new Modern Motorsports adapters. If you don't already have 280z axles you'll have to upgrade those too.

i just took the axle apart it snapped the main shaft right where it goes into the tripod splines on the diff side, my tq is 545 at 4500 rpm, i would like to try and make this set up work as i just spent all the time and money on this r200 swap and parts as i was told there are guys running 9s and pulling the wheels on this exact set up and thats more then i plan on doing. i am currently looking for some used ones to get the car back running does driveshaft shop or any other company make a stronger axle option for this set up? seems that if modern motorsports would go threw the hassle to make the kit that they would also offer axles.

QUOTE:"Does The Driveshaft Shop or any other company make a stronger axle option for this set up"

Yes. The people at Driveshaft Shop make tuff stuff for rally and drag cars that can handle huge numbers. However, I'm no expert, but I have read many post from those using R200 differentials who are putting big power to the ground. Although your stated HP and torque are imprssive, I suspect many are running higher numbers while using this diff without problems. Murfey's law and the fluke may have taken place.

QUOTE:"Does The Driveshaft Shop or any other company make a stronger axle option for this set up"

Yes. The people at Driveshaft Shop make tuff stuff for rally and drag cars that can handle huge numbers. However, I'm no expert, but I have read many post from those using R200 differentials who are putting big power to the ground. Although your stated HP and torque are imprssive, I suspect many are running higher numbers while using this diff without problems. Murfey's law and the fluke may have taken place.

i just found a used set on ebay and bought them, the guy said they are sloppy but if i just really need the shaft to fix mine so i should be ok there, but i still am looking for some billet or high strength alternatives.

Ok i figured i would update this, i spoke to frank at the driveshaft shop and he is going to make me a set of axles that will be a direct bolt in for the modern motorsports 280zxt set up , i sent him my stock set and he is going to use them to make me a set that uses the better porsche style ball cage ends and high strength bars :) i will post pics when i get them back, i will also have him make notes so that he can make these in the future for other people making allot of torque.

Like a few of us stated on nyzcc, we would love to see pics of what broke.

sorry already shipped the axles to the driveshaft shop, i will probably get back the axles but its not hard to picture a broken shaft, if you ever seen a axle broken down to its individual parts you have a shaft that is splined on both ends that inserts into tripods on either end, well the shaft snapped right there exactly where the splines start on the shaft. the drive shaft shop said that in truth at my power level all i really would need are upgraded bars, they said the ends and tripods are very strong already, but i figure while i am having them done might as well upgrade the entire axle.

sorry already shipped the axles to the driveshaft shop, i will probably get back the axles but its not hard to picture a broken shaft, if you ever seen a axle broken down to its individual parts you have a shaft that is splined on both ends that inserts into tripods on either end, well the shaft snapped right there exactly where the splines start on the shaft. the drive shaft shop said that in truth at my power level all i really would need are upgraded bars, they said the ends and tripods are very strong already, but i figure while i am having them done might as well upgrade the entire axle.

I did the Porsche 930 CV conversion some time back. BlueovalZ was the originator, I believe. I've since upgraded to a R200 3.90:1 w/ a Quaife diff. The driver's side shaft had to be shortened 3/4" and the diff side CV adapters were welded to the R200 flanges. These things are brutal. I believe the 930 CV is rated a something like 600 hp. It is not a cheap conversion but the end results is well worth the cost. http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/41590-prosche-930-cv-adapters-completed/page__p__387042__hl__930%20cv__fromsearch__1entry387042

I did the Porsche 930 CV conversion some time back. BlueovalZ was the originator, I believe. I've since upgraded to a R200 3.90:1 w/ a Quaife diff. The driver's side shaft had to be shortened 3/4" and the diff side CV adapters were welded to the R200 flanges. These things are brutal. I believe the 930 CV is rated a something like 600 hp. It is not a cheap conversion but the end results is well worth the cost. http://forums.hybrid..._1entry387042

If you do the 930 CV conversion, you still have the same size splined shaft coming out of the diff. It just terminates in a 4 bolt flange which bolts to the Porsche CV joint. If the tripod CV busted, I think the 930 CV might be worth considering. If the shaft busted, I don't see a big difference between one and the other.

That said, ezzzzzzzz mentioned shortening the driver's side shaft 3/4", and THAT is something that might be worth checking out a little further for the OP. I would look for suspension bottoming or the CV bottoming on the launch, angles of the CV shafts, etc. Angularity issues and binding are your enemies.

Ok i figured i would update this, i spoke to frank at the driveshaft shop and he is going to make me a set of axles that will be a direct bolt in for the modern motorsports 280zxt set up , i sent him my stock set and he is going to use them to make me a set that uses the better porsche style ball cage ends and high strength bars :) i will post pics when i get them back, i will also have him make notes so that he can make these in the future for other people making allot of torque.

Did the DS give you a quote on the price for the new center bars?

sorry been away, ok so here is the update , as for the lengths my new shafts where made to the exact lengths i needed, not based off the oem shafts, here are some pics of the new axles.

new axle

CIMG1528.jpg

compared to oem

CIMG1532.jpg

adapter to connect axle to modern motorsports hub

CIMG1529.jpg

adapter on the modern motorsports hub

CIMG1530.jpg

installed

CIMG1531.jpg

and now for the bad news , i got 3 passes out of them when this happened.

CIMG1539.jpg

thats right i shattered a stage 5 900 hp axle lol, they are under warranty so i will have them upgrade the inner cup even more even if it means moving my diff up to allow for a larger diameter inner cv.

the good news is i got a new best 60ft before it broke, 1.45 :) for those of you not into drag racing thats a amazing 60ft for a daily driven real street car.

Edited by 240zRacer

QUOTE:" I sent him my stock set and he is going to use them to make me a set that uses the better porsche style ball cage ends"

I'm using Frank's porsche style cv set up and although I'm sure it's super strong, the larger ends contact the frame upon compression of the suspension. I'm about 6.5" at the pinch seam in front of the rear wheel and that's about as low as I can get it without bumping the frame. I plan to mod the frame area above the cv ends so that I can lower it, hopefully another .75 inche or more.

the axles cost around 900 bucks, mayo if you look at my pics you will see i use a 5.9 inner cup and it doesnt hit any thing due to being a little smaller around then the outer porsche style and its just as strong we originally planned on the same inner and out but due to the space allowed we went this route, which brings me to the update frank found out what caused the axle to fail, under full squat the axles are a little to short and it allowed the inner cv to pull out to the very edge of the cup and peeled it back like a banana. The shafts have been extended slightly and the axles will be back here tomorrow just in time for fridays racing :) i used this opportunity to modify and improve my mustache bar so the diff should be even more solid then before. if any one is running a 240z with modern motor sports cv conversion and wants axles frank has all my specs saved, but you need to make sure you measure for the length with the car at rest and at full squat to make sure you get the right lengths, i only measured at rest and we assumed it wouldnt change much at squat but it does. i will keep you guys updated on the axles strength, he swears they will handle close to 1000 hp and im only at half that in a 2500 ib car so i shouldnt be able to break them.

Edited by 240zRacer

one after another. your cv shafts itself is rated at 900hp. but your tripod housing now becomes the weak spot as its the factory tripod race housing isnt it? im probably wrong but isnt the double offset joint a single piece? that being said, it almost looks like its some kind of cast metal from the pics.

• 1 month later...

Here's what broken stock 280zxt axle shafts look like....lol.

med_DSC02661.JPG

I'm curious to know how these axles are holding up for you. I broke the ones above when trying out the trans-brake. Haven't tried using it since but cut 1.4x 60ft pretty consistantly on another set of zxt axles.

Edited by J Taylor