HybridZ

Rustbullet and Spray On Bed Liner

UofA_ZCar

I almost have all the old undercoating stripped off my Z and am about to start applying Rustbullet. I've decided to coat it with spray on bed liner (Herculiner) rather than rubber undercoating after. My question is do I wait till the Rustbullet is totally dry to apply the Herculiner or put it on while the Rustbullet is still tacky?

As usually I have searched before posting.

I almost have all the old undercoating stripped off my Z and am about to start applying Rustbullet. I've decided to coat it with spray on bed liner (Herculiner) rather than rubber undercoating after. My question is do I wait till the Rustbullet is totally dry to apply the Herculiner or put it on while the Rustbullet is still tacky?

As usually I have searched before posting.

This may be irrelevant, but I am doing the same thing. I'm in the process of stripping all the undercoating off my second 240z, but, I am painting it with 2 layers of POR-15. I head bad, bad, bad things about putting undercoating/bedliner on the bottom of these cars. I believe this is why so many cars have rusted out on the bottom due to moisture being trapped between the body and the undercoating. Just my thoughts.

This may be irrelevant, but I am doing the same thing. I'm in the process of stripping all the undercoating off my second 240z, but, I am painting it with 2 layers of POR-15. I head bad, bad, bad things about putting undercoating/bedliner on the bottom of these cars. I believe this is why so many cars have rusted out on the bottom due to moisture being trapped between the body and the undercoating. Just my thoughts.

Agreed, forget the herculiner and just use the rustbullet...thats what i did wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thoughts. So help me out here..... how is it that moisture gets caught between the Herculiner and causes rusting but not between the Rustbullet and the body?

Thanks for the replies

I would assume that the Herculiner doesn't adhere as well to paint as paint does to metal. Undercoating has always seemed like a bad idea to me, maybe I'm wrong here, but if rust starts, wouldn't you want to know it opposed to discovering it by surprise? That is what happened to me anyways. I just finished undercoating my car with POR-15 laying on my back for three hours and I believe it was well worth it, very tough stuff.

I would assume that the Herculiner doesn't adhere as well to paint as paint does to metal. Undercoating has always seemed like a bad idea to me, maybe I'm wrong here, but if rust starts, wouldn't you want to know it opposed to discovering it by surprise? That is what happened to me anyways. I just finished undercoating my car with POR-15 laying on my back for three hours and I believe it was well worth it, very tough stuff.

How much POR-15 does it take to coat the whole undercarriage?

• 4 weeks later...

This is something I am looking into as well. Where do i find rust bullet or por-15?

You can get POR-15 online at www.POR15.com or you can find it at automotive paint stores. Our local PPG distributor sells POR-15. It's good stuff, painted the underneath of my 260Z with it.

The older cars with the least amount of rust are the ones with NO undercoating. I would not undercoat my car. I agree completely with jacob80's statement. I would want to see any rust as soon as possible to correct it before it gets bad. Undercoating will hide it until it's too late. In my opinion keeping a good paint job clean is the best rust protection.

Personally, I just finished this project. Let me tell you what I did:

Well, our floors had to be replaced, so the ole' "while you're at it" thought came to mind and I was installing a whole new rear end anyways, so I went ahead and did it. I used a combonation of a needle scaler and a torch/putty knife to get everything off. This is all you will need to remove any undercoating under the car. Once I removed all the undercoating, I washed and degreased everything and applied a couple coats of POR-15. That is really about it.

For anyone that reads this, please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT put undercoating on the bottom of your car. What are you trying to do, protect it? I can clearly see why people would gravitate to this idea, but it will backfire. Like I said, it is more of a moisture net than anything. If you paint it with POR-15, you'll be covered. This paint is meant to be tough and durable. I'm still in the experiemental stage and watching for chips, but so far, I've seen nothing.

Good luck.

I'd also chime in that Eastwood makes products that are actually a little better than POR15. You start with the Rust Converter, and then go back over with Rust Encapsulator - then after that, you could hit it with their Chassis Black with ceramic in it - and you're far better off than POR15. I hit some rust spots on my truck (which stays outside in the elements 24/7/365) with just the Encapsulator, and 5 years later, it still has yet to show any signs of coming back (rust that is). Everyone uses POR15 as the "industry standard" when it comes to rust protection, however, there are better products out there. Do a little research on POR vs. Eastwood stuff and I think you'll find the evidence to back up what I'm saying.

Once I removed all the undercoating, I washed and degreased everything and applied a couple coats of POR-15. That is really about it.

When I was using the needle gun to remove the undercoating in the wheel well, some of the seam sealer along there came off as well. Did you re-seam seal everything or just paint over it. It would seem to me that a few coats of pain should seal it up fine, and there would be no need for the seam sealer.

Thoughts?