HybridZ

please tell me my car isnt toast!

So I retrieved my father's 260z from an auto shop yard after setting there for 8 years. I just noticed that the driver's side front wheel is sitting about two inches forward of where it should be. I haven't jacked it up yet but I don't think the frame is bent. Any chance that this is a suspension issue that wont need the car to be junked?

So I retrieved my father's 260z from an auto shop yard after setting there for 8 years. I just noticed that the driver's side front wheel is sitting about two inches forward of where it should be. I haven't jacked it up yet but I don't think the frame is bent. Any chance that this is a suspension issue that wont need the car to be junked?

First things first, what makes you think the frame is straight? You really need to get the car up in the air and take some very careful measurements. Also look carefully at the front crossmember, are the bolts loose are the bolts even there? You would have to whack it pretty good to move it two inches. Usually when things get hit they move back, not forward.Check the lower control arm for distortion or bending. you really need to get under the car and compare the geometry of the right side to the left side. Hopefully you will find something obvious, it takes an awful lot of damage to make the car "junk" If you are still not sure , take some pictures and post them. somebody will spot the problem

Your car isn't toast, it is a car. When your car pops up all browned and crunchy, ready for butter, you should suspect it's toast.

Get the factory service manual for the car, read it, love it. Especially the parts about the front suspension. Take a look at the TC rod, also called the strut rod. It should be securely bolted to the rear of the wheel well, and to the front suspension. If the nut on the back of it falls of, the rod breaks, or the sheet metal it normally attaches to rips out, it could cause the wheel to move forward. Definitely get under the car and take a GOOD look around, a real sanity check, but be EXTRA careful under it, as if you suspect suspension parts are loose, jacking/holding points that normally would/should be solid will not be.

Your Z isn't toast... but it could be a Biscuit lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

LOL

yeah man you have to get it on some jack stands or a lift to check it out. no way of telling without pictures of the underside and exterior. what was it sitting there for 8 years for? were they in the middle of fiddling with the suspension and then stopped?

• 4 weeks later...

The car was donated to the auto shop by an interim owner and was mildly abused by high school students. I found it there and retrieved it. Thanks for the guidance. Actually the biscuit is my survivor 72 240z; I will post photos of the 260z this weekend after I get home from the Motorsport auto z fest...