HybridZ

About to cry, please help me get rid of these computer codes

KnightoftheRound

Now that the slight misfire I had is gone, I want to move to the damned computer codes my Z31 swap is getting and WONT GO AWAY!

Car gets Code 11 - Crank Angle Sensor, Code 34 - Detonation Sensor, Code 24 - Neutral Switch, Code 41 - Fuel Temp Sensor, and whatever the code is for Start Signal.

Getting a Z31 FPR w/Fuel Temp Sensor to replace my L28ET one, mostly to get rid of the code, and the fuel pressure to vacuum reading is out of spec with a clean return line, new hoses and filter. (My car pulls 20-22hg vacuum, and has 32psi fuel pressure, where it should read 26-28 at 20hg according to manual)

That leaves me with Code 11 and Code 34 to be the last 2 things I can imagine would affect running. CAS is a unit from a 85 Turbo, harness has continuity...car RUNS, cleaned disk last time it was out, could the unit itself just be faulty? I cut and extended the wires for the TPS, CAS, and injectors to run them between the valve cover and fuel rail to kinda clean it up, but all the wires are right..I supposed I should double check my splices though.

No idea whats going on with the Det. Sensor, unless its just bad. Harness gets continuity...computer doesn't seem to alter timing at all though.

All connections are clean and free of corrosion.

Anyone else have problems with their swap like this? I have been battling these things since I did the swap and its really making me regret doing the Z31 swap at all.

Edited by KnightoftheRound

Update:

Knock sensor code went away on accident when only one side of the sensor was plugged in, plugging in the other bullet connector to the sensor makes the code come back. Weird. Need to run the few FSM tests to see if its internally shorted or if its a harness problem.

Took distributor apart, cleaned the disk, cleaned the CAS, cleaned all the contacts and grounds, and code remains. Car still does not alter timing back or forth. Ran ECU ground and power tests per the manual, as well as harness tests for the CAS also per the manual, and all check out. All power connections get battery voltage as they should and all grounds read close to 0 ohms (.02 on the 2 scale, though touching the pins together gives me .02 so I assume its good)

Starting to lean towards CAS being bad. Will keep updated and posted. If anything maybe it will help someone else with my problems in the future.

Update 2:

Nope, new CAS didn't do a damned thing.

Update 3: Got desperate and as a last resort, I cut the CAS plug off the ECU harness and ran the wires to the appropriate pins or ground, and spliced the B/W wire that bridges many different sensors at the ECU. Turned car on, no more code! Although the FSM harness test showed no issue, I guess you can't always be sure. Made a new harness going directly from ECU to CAS. Code gone, but still doesn't appear to alter timing.

Update 4: Code 11 - Crank Angle Sensor came back with new CAS and self-made harness.

Update 5:

CAS code still lives.

Fabbed up a way to mount a Fuel Temp Sensor at the bracket where the FPR is. (The sensor does not come in contact with fuel anyways) Code 41 Fuel Temp Sensor is now gone. Code came back again strangely, but the pin is hardly secure in the connector. Probably going to source a Z31 from the junk yard and just splice on 3 Z31 ECU connectors to finally rid myself of the horrible S130T ones.

Start signal code went away after I spliced in a sw/12v from the ignition switch harness into the pin 9 (for start signal). I am beginning to think more and more my harness is just totally F-ed, cause that made my code go away for that, permanently.

Car seems to run obscenely rich. Plugs are black as night.

IMAG0029.jpg

Update 6:

Got Z31 ECU plugs and cut and soldered to splice on the new connectors onto the 280ZX Turbo harness. All problems seeminly gone now. Error codes now do not seem to intermittently come back. Car revs great, drives smooth as glass, and does not sputter nor hesitate at any RPM. Have not checked to see if computer registers o2 sensor yet, runs great though!