HybridZ

280z - Moonroof Delete

Well..

i currently have a 280z that has a "moonroof" installed, with a tilt and raise panel of glass. I would like to get rid of the hole in the roof, since most racing sanctions wont approve a glass or plexi, or carbon roof plug.

Anyone had any success welding in a new plug? Or should I search the junk yards and cut a whole roof skin off???

I happened to do this two summers ago with my Z.

I cut a good roof out of my parts car and went from there.

DSCN1963.jpg

Trimmed it to fit and tacked it into place.

DSCN1985.jpg

and stitched it in (weld it solid, you can deal with the minor warping later when you do the filler work).

DSCN2006.jpg

I cut out a skin from a donor car about as big as I could cut it and welded it on top of the old one, covering the hole. Not show car quality but plenty good for racing. I ground the welds down nice and flat and used a little filler. To get it perfect, I think you need to cut the donor roof at the pillars.

I cut out a skin from a donor car about as big as I could cut it and welded it on top of the old one, covering the hole. Not show car quality but plenty good for racing. I ground the welds down nice and flat and used a little filler. To get it perfect, I think you need to cut the donor roof at the pillars.

Going to have to disagree here. You can de-skin the roof and see the only support is around the outside. So by just pulling a nice skin you do a quality, clean repair. That's how I had mine done and so did DavyZ if I recall correctly. Chopping the pillars just leaves room for a lot of things to go wrong in my opinion.

Weld in a new skin. I had it done to a long term car I have in storage.

OT, but is this your '76 shell? I was under the impression you sold it.

Going to have to disagree here. You can de-skin the roof and see the only support is around the outside. So by just pulling a nice skin you do a quality, clean repair. That's how I had mine done and so did DavyZ if I recall correctly. Chopping the pillars just leaves room for a lot of things to go wrong in my opinion.

I believe what you just described is how Arne did his, and in that case, I really couldn't agree more. That's the ONLY way I would ever consider doing it.

Edited by rturbo 930

OT, but is this your '76 shell? I was under the impression you sold it.

I believe what you just described is how Arne did his, and in that case, I really couldn't agree more. That's the ONLY way I would ever consider doing it.

I have had 4 1976's, so you might be confused with 3 I have sold. I have one that is just a bare chassis that has been blasted and epoxy primed.

Yea Sparks, that's why I didn't cut the pilars. Scared the hell out of me. But my mechanic friend insists that's the best way to do it and saves time. I will never know.

Is your mechanic friend an actual mechanic or just someone who aspires to be one? I'm not one either, but cutting off the roof at the A pillar and welding it back on seems like a great way to compromise the structural integrity of the car to me. I kind of doubt it's much faster or simpler either, but what do I know?

• 1 month later...

I bought a roof for $100 delivered to me today!! I found it from a local guy who titles his business as Datsunofthebeach.. what a deal.

After looking at this thread... http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/66240-successful-roof-re-skin-s30/page__p__621574__fromsearch__1entry621574 I realize they drilled the spot welds out... but after grinding with a wire wheel, there are several areas that I dont see the spot welds.. this is going to be tough.

If your going to just throw the moonroof away throw it my way. :D I have the duel t-top sunroof thing and I would rather have a single piece one because I plan on just keeping it anyways and if your not gonna use it why not.

Is your mechanic friend an actual mechanic or just someone who aspires to be one? I'm not one either, but cutting off the roof at the A pillar and welding it back on seems like a great way to compromise the structural integrity of the car to me. I kind of doubt it's much faster or simpler either, but what do I know?

Remove the doors, seats, and side panels.

Temporarily weld an "X" in each door opening.

Temporarily weld a bar across the car at rear of the door opening, shoulder high.

Cut the roof off.