HybridZ

idle problem

chasm8

I have a 82280zxt 2+2 5 speed.Its doesnt idle right after it gets to normal runing temp.It goes between 800 and 200 rpms.it almosts shuts off ,but deosnt.Ive check timing,compression,fuel pressure,all reads like the fsm said.plugs and wires are new.I also couldnt find any vac leaks any were. any other ides would help.thanks

Test the cylinder head temp sensor (just left and up from the knock sensor)

Could be a lot of things if you still have a 100% factory intake manifold with everything on it. Why do you think so many of us delete all that crap? My L28ET warms up just fine in the "brisk" 30 degree mornings on the coldest days here in the bay area.

If the head temp sensor checks out ok, then I'd start checking everything in the cold start system.

Test the cylinder head temp sensor (just left and up from the knock sensor)

Could be a lot of things if you still have a 100% factory intake manifold with everything on it. Why do you think so many of us delete all that crap? My L28ET warms up just fine in the "brisk" 30 degree mornings on the coldest days here in the bay area.

If the head temp sensor checks out ok, then I'd start checking everything in the cold start system.

mine tends to start rough to most of the time i have a 78 but it has the zx motor what is involved in deleting all the "crap"

Stock manifold...

280ZX_015.jpg

My edited Turbo manifold...

DSCI0695.jpg

Basically disconnect everything and make block off plates/bolts for all but

Brake booster vacuum

Boost/Vacuum Gauge

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Ground wires

That's all you really need.

My car in the coldest of mornings needs a little motivation from the right foot to idle above 1000rpm for the first 60 seconds or so because I have no fast idle control..... oh no. But I don't have to worry about diagnosing all those little gremlins that come back to haunt you constantly.

Just remember, this would never pass a smog inspection. :-D

Stock manifold...

280ZX_015.jpg

My edited Turbo manifold...

DSCI0695.jpg

Basically disconnect everything and make block off plates/bolts for all but

Brake booster vacuum

Boost/Vacuum Gauge

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Ground wires

That's all you really need.

My car in the coldest of mornings needs a little motivation from the right foot to idle above 1000rpm for the first 60 seconds or so because I have no fast idle control..... oh no. But I don't have to worry about diagnosing all those little gremlins that come back to haunt you constantly.

Just remember, this would never pass a smog inspection. :-D

I made my block off plates out of my scrap hood I had lying around.

If you want to see REALLY clean intakes, there are much better examples around. If you want it to look really nice you need to grind off all that you're not using, and weld it in, then sand it to a mirror finish.

Mine's just empty.

I made my block off plates out of my scrap hood I had lying around.

If you want to see REALLY clean intakes, there are much better examples around. If you want it to look really nice you need to grind off all that you're not using, and weld it in, then sand it to a mirror finish.

Mine's just empty.

This is how my intake looks after I shaved/filled it (N42 intake on a NA '79 with stock EFI)

DSC04048.jpg

sometimes my car will do the same thing when I'm coming up to a stop and I let the revs drop. I can usually mostly fix it by either adjusting the TB a tiny bit more open (higher idle) and/or leaning out the AFM a bit (but messing with the AFM is a PITA and I don't recommend it for a novice lol)

• 2 months later...

Sorry I never saw this!!! My bad.

I actually USED the pop-off valve. I took a grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the top off. Then I took a large bolt that was able to fit inside and not fall through, and ground it down so it fit snugly inside. I used it as a stop/filler for the jbweld I then filled the pop-off valve.

I'm not one to say jb weld can do anything, but this is a good application as it never gets insanely hot, and the vacuum and boost are well within the range of this stuff's bonding ability.

I have a 82280zxt 2+2 5 speed.Its doesnt idle right after it gets to normal runing temp.It goes between 800 and 200 rpms.it almosts shuts off ,but deosnt.Ive check timing,compression,fuel pressure,all reads like the fsm said.plugs and wires are new.I also couldnt find any vac leaks any were. any other ides would help.thanks

all fixed.IT ended up being the new dizzy was bad.