HybridZ

Weird Problem. Where is my coolant going.

I was not sure were to post this as it does not really pertain to these forums but there are some very smart people here thought I would ask. I have a 2004 Impreza STi. It seems that the coolant is just dissapearing. I posted on another site no one really replied much or knew. Down to what I know.

There is no smoke!! I do not smell coolant see any kind of leaks anywhere I even pressure tested the Radiator and Turbo side to see if anything is leaking. I have refilled and keep my eye on it daily. What I do notice is if I run it for a good amount with it under boost not even really opening it up just under moderate boost for short periods of time the next day I will notice the overflow is low again.

My only guess can is that my turbo is going out since they use the non rebuildable turbos so yah. Any questions comments would be much appreciated! And if this is the wrong place for this delete / move. It will be ok.

Edited by ZBoost

...coolant disappearing. Have you checked your oil cap or dipstick yet? If it looks milky in any way then you'll have a guess as to where its going...hopefully that wont be the case though!

Sometimes its just as simple as a defective radiator cap that is allowing coolant to escape. The other thing could just simply be air-bubbles. They settle out or "burp" and your coolant is lower as a result. Maybe do a flush and fill and go from there?

I guess a bubble is possible but wouldn't I be over filled at some point? My main concern is its the seals and its not enough to see smoke. but eventually the seal is gonna go and I will be in some bad trouble. Right now Im just running low boost tune/ fuel economy. Seems to work great, if that what I wanted though I would have bought a Corolla or something then... makes me sad. :(

Note: Did not mean to double post. :angry:

Edited by ZBoost

I've just been through this in my Z (not a Subie obviously and no turbo either, but it might still be relevant). I noticed my car overheating months ago, found it was quite low on coolant and topped it off. The oil was clean as could be and it there were absolutely no puddles under the vehicle or traces of coolant in the engine bay. I haven't been driving the Z much so it gets parked for a couple of weeks at a time during the winter. I have dry-rotted weatherstripping, so I assumed that if I had a wet floorboard it was from snow / rain water seeping in. A couple of weeks ago, after a nice weather drive I noticed that the driver's side carpet was dry, but the passenger side seemed to be completely soaked. Figuring it was rain water I pulled the carpet out of that side to find a green puddle in the passenger footwell.

Gee, found where my coolant was going. I've already got a replacement heater core ready to go in.

Edited by blue72

hmmmm I never thought about that.... I will definatly check that out but if that was the case I figured Id notice atleast a little bit of it somewhere I have put in quite a bit...

Edited by ZBoost

I dumped in about a gallon of coolant before finding where mine was going.

Another idea would be to have a shop (or yourself if you feel savvy) do the ole' dye trick. Add dye to cooling system, run it and inspect possible problem areas with a light that causes the dye to fluoresce.

Ya I might just have to. Ill post back after checking through the floors and stuff. I might be able to have one of the guys at my work hook me up on a dye try that trick. Thanks though for the info every little bit I try helps me get that much closer to this little annoyance.

Ya I might just have to. Ill post back after checking through the floors and stuff. I might be able to have one of the guys at my work hook me up on a dye try that trick. Thanks though for the info every little bit I try helps me get that much closer to this little annoyance.

Definitely come back with your results. I have my money on air bubbles in the radiator, and the coolant settling... at least that's what I'm hoping it is, for your sake!

Well if it is the Seals on the Turbo leaking into the downpipe and not something else it gives me a reason to go bigger! :D

If it is just something weird like bubbles which Im not even sure how that would happen. It gives me more money for a motor in the Z! :rolleyes: