HybridZ

What is this?

Ok guys, I have no idea what this thing is. I cant find any pictures, nor descriptions of it in my Haynes manual. I think it has something to do with the 260z SU's because of all the vacuum lines attached to it. I traced each one and they all led across the back of the engine bay and then stopped where the previous owner had cut them off from wherever they went. Also, there is a red button on it that says "Push". There were a few electrical connectors too. My best guess was that it had something to do with emissions, seeing as it is a 260z, but i havent found anything concrete. I just need to satisfy my curiousity about what it is. Im sure its not important anymore and i aint puttin it back in cause ive never seen em in your guys' engine compartments. Any help would be great, thanks!

post-7810-12708733048019_thumb.jpg

post-7810-12708733647495_thumb.jpg

Ok guys, I have no idea what this thing is. I cant find any pictures, nor descriptions of it in my Haynes manual. I think it has something to do with the 260z SU's because of all the vacuum lines attached to it. I traced each one and they all led across the back of the engine bay and then stopped where the previous owner had cut them off from wherever they went. Also, there is a red button on it that says "Push". There were a few electrical connectors too. My best guess was that it had something to do with emissions, seeing as it is a 260z, but i havent found anything concrete. I just need to satisfy my curiousity about what it is. Im sure its not important anymore and i aint puttin it back in cause ive never seen em in your guys' engine compartments. Any help would be great, thanks!

It's a vacuum tank to accumulate vacuum (if that's even possible) for actuating the various valves, both water and air, for your heater and AC if you have it. Air Conditioning refers to both heating and cooling.post-8864-12708756454738_thumb.jpg

Too much free time...

It's a vacuum tank to accumulate vacuum (if that's even possible) for actuating the various valves, both water and air, for your heater and AC if you have it. Air Conditioning refers to both heating and cooling.post-8864-12708756454738_thumb.jpg

Too much free time...

I was going to say it's the "Easy" button, to make any problems disappear quickly. What an ugly hunk of junk to have in your engine bay!

Too much free time...

Well that makes a lot of sense. My car had factory AC. I took it out because A) I dont want it and B) I dont need it. I still have a bunch of the wires i need to trace down and take out, but until then theyre staying where they are. Thanks again! Free time for you saved time for me...

• 1 year later...

Darn it! Nobody answered what the red button does. I have wondered about that for 20 years. I was hoping it was a convenient way to turn the engine over while adjusting the valves but I could never get it to do anything.

Edited by 30 ounce

If this is a 260 thats the engine reset button.

That is an engine reset button in the US 260Z courtesy of the inane thinking of the federal government. To get people to buckle up, they required that the starter be interlocked with the seatbelts. However, if you put a bag of groceries in the passenger seat, you might have to fasten the passenger side seat belt to start the car. There was a button in the engine bay to work around this in emergencies. It's easier to jumper it out.