HybridZ

Need new Brake MC Reservoirs?

Both Reservoirs on my MC crumbled when I went to remove them (upgrading to 15/16).

I searched on this forum and others for a source of replacements with no avail. I did notice that Tilton had some remote reservoir inlets that apparently fit our MCs well enough, though I couldn't be sure these were the same size as the reservoirs they sell.

Well, I'm glad to say I didn’t spend $40 something for no reason, because they fit wonderfully, look great, and make it much easier for me to have two large reservoirs for my rear caliper conversion !

Here is a picture, and part numbers for everything you need, incase anybody else can benefit from this information:

Reservoir - $7.99 - PN:3558-MEDIUM

Filter - $4.49 - PN:3559-LARGE

Cap - $5.99 - PN:3564

Clamp - $1.99 - PN:3577

O-Ring - $1.49 - PN:3556

15-16MCTiltonReservoirs.jpg

Got everything from Pegasus Racing. 15/16 MC is a refurbished unit from Oreilly.

You should have read my thread I made 2 weeks ago! :D

med_gallery_3346_756_1309167.jpg

I did the same thing you did, only I used Wilwood items. Acardone MC from Oreilly's too.

Nice... I had actually seen your post, but I had already ordered mine (not to mention, I emailed Wilwood and they were pretty insistant that their reservoirs would NOT work with our MCs...) They look a little smaller maybe? Mine couldn't face in towards each other like that (they are 6.8 oz).

Any chance you can post up part numbers, price, and where you ordered them? Help out anyone else shopping for these!

Also, if anybody knows the size of the stock large reservoir that might be usefull information too.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice... I had actually seen your post, but I had already ordered mine (not to mention, I emailed Wilwood and they were pretty insistant that their reservoirs would NOT work with our MCs...) They look a little smaller maybe? Mine couldn't face in towards each other like that (they are 6.8 oz).

Any chance you can post up part numbers, price, and where you ordered them? Help out anyone else shopping for these!

Also, if anybody knows the size of the stock large reservoir that might be usefull information too.

I ordered them straight from Wilwood. Here are the part numbers and prices for my Wilwood parts:

4oz reservoirs: 260-5752 ($11.82 each)

Screw caps: 330-4355 ($8.93 each)

4oz filters: 260-3394 ($4.13 each)

Reservoir clamp: 260-3393 ($5.34 each)

Proportioning valve: 260-8419 $45.30

Edited by Blown77Z

Thanks Blown77Z for posting up the Wilwood info!

Found out that Black Dragon Auto also has some available, pretty expensive however. Part numbers and prices below;

Reservoir - $12.95 - PN: 64-132

Filter - $8.95 - PN: 55-325

Cap - $14.95 - PN: 64-134

No Clamps or O-rings listed in their catalog.

www.blackdragonauto.com

• 9 months later...

I have this setup, and without an O-ring or some kind of solution they are slowly leaking. I'm going to try to fit an O ring around it.

Which setup? Tilton, Wilwood, or Black Dragon?

I listed the part number for an O-ring...

Edited by LanceVance

This is great, I just bought a used master cylinder with booster for my S130 for $75 and it turned out to be in bad condition AND shipping was around $65! Great job assembling this, really appreciate it. Now if only I could get this damned stock BMC out.. :fmad:

Edited by AKZX

Yeah, removing it can be a bit of a pain. 10mm flare nut wrench, heat, and penetrating fluid helped me take it all apart. If you care about how your booster looks now is also a good time to use a wire brush bit to take off the old paint, and throw on some nice gloss black engine enamel. Looks really good when you polish up the aluminum spacer that goes between the booster and master cylinder too.

Mr JDM, Those O-rings should work out fine for you. You might even get away with a random O-ring from the "mystery box" at your auto parts store...

Yeah, removing it can be a bit of a pain. 10mm flare nut wrench, heat, and penetrating fluid helped me take it all apart. If you care about how your booster looks now is also a good time to use a wire brush bit to take off the old paint, and throw on some nice gloss black engine enamel. Looks really good when you polish up the aluminum spacer that goes between the booster and master cylinder too.

Mr JDM, Those O-rings should work out fine for you. You might even get away with a random O-ring from the "mystery box" at your auto parts store...

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have any flare nut wrenches, but it's good to know the size is really 10mm, I was starting to doubt it. Did you use a torch for applying heat?

I torched it just a little, it kind of smelled weird because I had already soaked it with penetrating fluid :rolleyes: ...

The flare wrench is a must if you don't want to destroy the nuts on your lines. The metal is just too soft, and has sat for too long... I got mine at sears for $8.00 I think...? I'm sure you can find one cheaper, but its definitely cheaper than new lines either way...

Both Reservoirs on my MC crumbled when I went to remove them (upgrading to 15/16).

I searched on this forum and others for a source of replacements with no avail. I did notice that Tilton had some remote reservoir inlets that apparently fit our MCs well enough, though I couldn't be sure these were the same size as the reservoirs they sell.

Well, I'm glad to say I didn’t spend $40 something for no reason, because they fit wonderfully, look great, and make it much easier for me to have two large reservoirs for my rear caliper conversion !

Here is a picture, and part numbers for everything you need, incase anybody else can benefit from this information:

Reservoir - $7.99 - PN:3558-MEDIUM

Filter - $4.49 - PN:3559-LARGE

Cap - $5.99 - PN:3564

Clamp - $1.99 - PN:3577

O-Ring - $1.49 - PN:3556

15-16MCTiltonReservoirs.jpg

Got everything from Pegasus Racing. 15/16 MC is a refurbished unit from Oreilly.

great info and a very reasonable [$] alternative to oem-thanks for posting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I installed the Tilton reservoirs after reading this thread a few years ago and I've just now had to go back to the original reservoirs, which I thankfully kept. I ran into the same problem as mr jdm. The Tilton reservoirs were not sealing on the master cylinder. The stock reservoirs are a tight fit on the MC, but because the Tilton reservoirs are meant to be used with a master cylinder with an o-ring groove for an o-ring seal, they are a looser fit. Consequently, I had to tighten the heck out of the clamps to get them to finally seal. This worked for a few years, but then I noticed yesterday that brake fluid was leaking again.

Turns out that despite being very conscientious about the positioning of the clamps, the upper wire of the front reservoir clamp slipped up slightly and was squeezing the sleeve of the reservoir just above the aluminum boss of the MC. Because I had to tighten the clamps so much, this eventually caused the reservoir to crack and fluid was leaking out. Also, the hose clamp screws stripped when I loosened them to remove the  reservoirs.

It's too bad because I liked having nice, white reservoirs and black plastic screw-on caps instead of the old, yellowed reservoirs and rusty caps. But without a better way to get the Tilton reservoirs to seal, I don't think I'm going to try them again. So, for those that have them installed or are considering it, keep my experience in mind. Thankfully the black POR15 base coat I painted the chassis with is very resistant to brake fluid. But by the time I realized the reservoir was leaking again, the white urethane top coat had completely bubbled up on the inner fender and all across the top of the frame rail. The paint wiped right off, leaving the POR15 exposed under it so it looks like crap now.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel