HybridZ

240z noob...need rb20det help

xxZephyrxx

Hey guys.

I just joined this forum because I have been toying with the idea of buying a 240z and putting a rb20det into it. I have been researching and googling and searching on here for help regarding the swap. I keep reading that it is fairly easy, but I have failed to find a guide on everything you need to complete the swap. I have found the electrical wiring guide which will be a great help but can't find all the parts deemed necessary to complete the swap. Through my searches I have found out that you may need the mckinney motorsports rb20 mounting kit...some searches said a different driveshaft for the swap and other searches showed that you can use the skyline motor mounts and driveshaft. Also I'm curious about the ecu. I have found an jdm engine website that sells the complete swap with the wiring harness, ecu, engine, tranny, etc. but through my searches have found mixed ideas on the ecu and tachometer. I'm asking you experts for help because I want to do it right the first time and not halfass this project. Any advice you can give me on what parts I should get for the complete swap or if you could point me in the direction of a guide I didn't find would be great. Thanks.

I just wrote a write up on the wiring which includes the tach hookup. I installed my rb20 with the stock skyline mounts and I modified the stock Z trans mount. Search my posts and you will find all the info you will need. There is a few pics if my set up also on this forum. I used the stock Z driveshaft also. You will need a rear sump oil pan which I can build for you if you like. There are tons of pics of my work on this forum also. As for the ecu I used the one that came with my swap. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help.

Edited by pat1

• 1 month later...

Okay, I too have a question about the RB20 swaps.

I've looked and looked, but can't find a definite answer: Can I use the stock clutch master cylinder if I'm installing an RB20DET into my 1976 280Z?

And what about the slave, what's the travel that I need if I don't really want to pay $300 for a NISMO one?