HybridZ

Turn signal problems

I just installed another dash in my 71Z. Everything works except the turn signals. When I removed the dash I marked everything that was not color coded so I wouldn't have these problems. I swapped the harness out to use my original one so all of the wires would match up, as I said I had them marked.

When I turn on the turn signals, nothing happens. Completely dead. The flashers work fine and so I can tell that the turn signal lights work and the tail and front lights work.

The only thing that I can see that would be a problem is the turn signal harness socket or connector. It fell apart in my hands from age but it is still together and plugs into the dash harness just fine.Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Any one have an idea on what I could check next???? There really is nothing else that could be wrong except the harness connector. I swapped out the hazard switch in case that had some thing to do with it but to no avail. They are connected according to my wiring diagram.

Thanks for the help

Larry

Edited by lgoodson@pacbell.net

I just installed another dash in my 71Z. Everything works except the turn signals. When I removed the dash I marked everything that was not color coded so I wouldn't have these problems. I swapped the harness out to use my original one so all of the wires would match up, as I said I had them marked.

When I turn on the turn signals, nothing happens. Completely dead. The flashers work fine and so I can tell that the turn signal lights work and the tail and front lights work.

The only thing that I can see that would be a problem is the turn signal harness socket or connector. It fell apart in my hands from age but it is still together and plugs into the dash harness just fine.Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Any one have an idea on what I could check next???? There really is nothing else that could be wrong except the harness connector. I swapped out the hazard switch in case that had some thing to do with it but to no avail. They are connected according to my wiring diagram.

Thanks for the help

Larry

i HAD the same problem. And you know what was the problem. The hazard light switch, so i took it off opened it and cleaned the inside and WALA they work fine now. :D

i HAD the same problem. And you know what was the problem. The hazard light switch, so i took it off opened it and cleaned the inside and WALA they work fine now. :D

As isaid, I changed the hazzard switch and it did not solve the problem. I know this switch to be good as it was in the dash I took out and it worked fine but thanks.

Larry

Well I even tried another signal switch but still no workie. All the wireing looks good and correct. You really have to try hard to screw it up. All of the connectors are mated so they only go together one way. As for the individual wires, I labeled them because there were some strange ones. Like a green wire into a white wire off the TS switch. Sombody's been playing so I labeled.

I need help. What could the problem be?

Checking my wiring diagram, the switch gets it's power from the brake switch through the hazard switch and only when you have the brakes on. That doesn't make sense.

Can't find any other power at the TS switch terminals. All other wires go to the 4 corners for lights.

Help

Larry

Problem solved!!!

After 20+ hour tracing wires and buying another turn signaal switch, the problem all along was just the Flasher.

This after I tried another flasher from my other dash harness. After testing them, I decided to buy a new one and it worked. Didn't think it too likely that I would have 2 bad ones but I did. My original was working fine before I pulled the dash out but wouldn't work when I re installed it.

So this one is for the books!!