HybridZ

Car turns over but wont stay on

z31chick

I have a 1987 300zx which does not stay on. It turns over but wont stay on. I have changed the coil and the fuel filter and have had the fuel pump checked and that works fine too.I have also checked for spark and it shows no spark. I think it might be the distributor but im not sure. Can anyone give me any ideas of what it is and what to do???PLEASE!!!

Edited by z31chick

when you say it turns over but won't stay on what does that mean. The starter cranks the engine and it trys to run but dies or it just doesn't do anything but turn the engine. Check your fuel pressure unless that is how you decided the fuel pump was okay. Did it use to run? what led up to the non running condition. Your explanation of what happened and what steps you have taken to diagnose the problem isn't very clear nor coherent. Pull a spark plug (not the easiest thing on a z31 but necessary) leave it connected and laying where it contacts metal so it has a ground. have someone crank the engine and see if you are getting spark to the plug. if no spark then pull the coil wire out of the dizzy and hold it close to some metal part while someone cranks the engine. If no spark there then coil and/or igniter (power transistor power module) is bad. If you do get spark there then dizzy or ignition wires are at fault. Look inside dizzy for broken pieces. the z31 dizzy is known to fail internally. remember you need air, fuel and fire to make things work. Check for bird/mouse nest in the air intake. air filter thoroughly plugged? fuel pressure you need to know in case the fpr failed. Do some more diagnostics and try another post with more info.

QUOTE:" Can anyone give me any ideas of what it is and what to do???PLEASE!!!"

In order to help, as stated below, we need more information. Your problem could be as simple as a bad ignition switch or something a lot more complicated. A little history here would really help!

Ok i read and searched. I ran a diagnose on the ecu and the code it threw out was fuel temperature sensor. I disconnected it from the wiring and the car ran for a couple of minutes n then died. Now it wont turn on. The car was working but all of the sudden it just died in the middle of the road. The pump works as i said before n i now think its a wiring problem. I guess im going to have to keep searching.