HybridZ

RB handling characteristics?

ghostu2

Hi guys

I'm putting a rb20det into a 260Z. The chassis has custom coilovers, tokico 5way adjustable illuminas, new polyurethane, adjustable tie rods and toe links, strut tower bar front and rear 275rears and 255 fronts.I wanted some people to chime in on if the RBs make the car more nose heavy with understeer more than a L28ET would. I expect some type of difference but with mods listed will car still handle nicely?

Edited by ghostu2

Hi guys

I'm putting a rb20det into a 260Z. The chassis has custom coilovers, tokico 5way adjustable illuminas, new polyurethane, adjustable tie rods and toe links, strut tower bar front and rear 275rears and 255 fronts.I wanted a some people to chime in on if the RBs make the far more nose heavy with understeer more than a L28ET would. I expect some type of difference but with mods listed will car still handle nicely?

What spring rates?

What size anti-roll bars?

What brand and model tire?

What size rims?

How much does the car weight?

Any corner weight numbers?

What are your alignment numbers?

What spring rates?

What size anti-roll bars?

What brand and model tire?

What size rims?

How much does the car weight?

Any corner weight numbers?

What are your alignment numbers?

Spring Rate = 200ILBs

Anti Roll Bars=1" or more?

Tires= Hankook Ventus HR II

Rim= 17x9 up front 17x9.5 back Rota RBs

Car Weight=Average 260Z weight ? dont have car scale

No Corner Weights

No Alignment #s

Didn't realize it took so much to get a general Idea. If Corner Weighting will help and certain alignment #s for having a RB in your chassis will I am interested. But generally a seat of the pants feel from members who actually have and drive their RBZs daily.

Spring Rate = 200ILBs

Anti Roll Bars=1" or more?

Tires= Hankook Ventus HR II

Rim= 17x9 up front 17x9.5 back Rota RBs

Car Weight=Average 260Z weight ? dont have car scale

No Corner Weights

No Alignment #s

Didn't realize it took so much to get a general Idea. If Corner Weighting will help and certain alignment #s for having a RB in your chassis will I am interested. But generally a seat of the pants feel from members who actually have and drive their RBZs daily.

They handle fine, even on my old beat up chassis with just lowering springs. I think you will have a ton of fun with it I wouldn't worry.

I can't see a RB20 adding that much more, if any, compared to putting a 280zxt L6 in a s30. I have the 26 in my 260z with twins, and lots of extra added weight vs stock L6, and my car handles fine to me.

I'm not qualified to speak on what it would do as a track car though, compared to the L6. Street wise, it feels orgasmic.... :D

Engine placement is going to effect the handling (weight balance) as well. Ive seen some mounted high and forward, and others (like mine), mounted close to the firewall and low. So it really depends on a lot of things.

Nor can you do corner balancing without an adjustable coilover setup. (johnc - correct me if I'm wrong)

You need scales, and at a minimum adjustable coil overs.

Nor can you do corner balancing without an adjustable coilover setup. (johnc - correct me if I'm wrong)

You can do corner balancing without threaded collars. You just have to move stuff around in the car (battery, etc.), put spacers under or on top of the springs, and other stuff. Its just a helluva lot easier with threaded collars.

The RB vs L28 would be 30KG more approx and that would be without turbo's so with turbo, air con pumps etc more KG (or LB for those state side that still use imperial ;)) so as other have stated location location location.

Remember Nissan made the Z432 which had an engine that was the weight o the RB anyhow (the S20) so the chassis is up to the weight stock for stock ie RB20DE or RB25DE, RB30 would be heavier as the block is bigger.

The point it should not upset the stock handling, however as other have already stated if you want the S30 chassis to handle great, some tweaks are required via adjustable suspension.

Edited by NZeder

Out of personal interest - is there any consensus as to what the optimum settings for Tokiko Illuminas should be for an RB26 240z - front and rear???

Shocks are adjusted based on spring rate. What springs are on your car and what rate are they?

I talked to a local Z guy freak about my RB26 (around 300 hp)swap and besides what you guys are talking about he told me i should spot weld my shock towers and other places in the engine bay to prevent it from cracking I was wondering what you guys think about that ?