HybridZ

ModernS30's 1972 Datsun 240z

Just went on a shopping spree that put my bank account down. It will for the most part get the car in a more finished state. I got seat belts, I got a brand new airdam, I got turn signals, I got weather packs to fix my headlights and rewire on the new signals and fix the side marker lights. I pretty much need to get my next pay check. Take the fuel cell back out, make sure there isn't any gas that I can blow myself up with. Seal off the fuel cell area so I don't have exhaust fumes, as well as get some exhaust stuff done and registure it. Then I will be able to actually drive the dang thing.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice going, It's awesome to hear about another resurection. It's a thanksgiving miracle. So is that pop everytime you shift, a backfire? It sounds like your timing might still be a little off. I can't wait to drive mine; mine sat for 12 years before I got it, and though I did get it started, there were no brakes so I couldn't drive it more than a couple feet w/o risking crashing into anything.

Did you ever get your Brake brackets figured out?

Phar

Nice going, It's awesome to hear about another resurection. It's a thanksgiving miracle. So is that pop everytime you shift, a backfire? It sounds like your timing might still be a little off. I can't wait to drive mine; mine sat for 12 years before I got it, and though I did get it started, there were no brakes so I couldn't drive it more than a couple feet w/o risking crashing into anything.

Did you ever get your Brake brackets figured out?

Phar

I figured out the brake brackets. I ended up using 280zx calipers and a guy (Harry) at Car Quest and I went through the books and found a rotor that would fit.

The backfire is because the exhaust is dumping out right at the transmission as well as the fact that the plugs were fouled out. When I dyno'd the 280z at Motiva with the same engine completely stock, injectors were going south, with the stock fuel pump, it was like a point to rich on the chart. I now have a Walbro fuel pump, I need to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and MS. :D I have not touched the timing, it shouldn't be off.

I bought a few more parts, I have changed the plugs since this video. I ordered stuff to actually make my exhaust, hopefully it is ready to actually street by the 9th of December so I can go to the IZCC meet.

Are you putting in a muffler, or just straight pipe? What's in the box? I can't tell.

the tackle box is full of GM style waterresistant eletrical connectors.

Modern, nice work, when can we see pics of that exaust installed?

Edited by Geking

Well, for now it is just going to be a straight pipe but state law requires a muffler, I just want to find the right one so it sounds nice. Pictures of the exhaust installed will come when I figure out exactly how I am going to run it. I have a few issues to overcome first. Best thing about what I have there for exhaust. I paid $170.95, shipped, I paid for it Monday night, around 8:30. It was at my door by the time I came home from work today. B)

Yes, GM style, same as the Painless Wiring weather pack connectors. Retrofitting my front headlights, marker lights, and turn signals with them. Sound be a fantastic improvement from the factory connectors. I need to order the guy out of stock because he will no longer be able to supply them after the end of December but I would love to have them for doing a stand alone engine harness.

Other than that, I should have more goodies come Saturday pending availability to sign for the quite large box. (I will leave you wondering) :P

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention I already have the turn signal harnesses fitted with the weather packs. Not only are they functional but they look so much nicer. Bang for buck in these things for sure.

Edited by ModernS30

Here is the end of the 240z signal harness and the 280z body harness retrofitted with the weather packs and wiring made where the signals work. Doing the same on the headlights and front side marker lights. Doesn't it look so much cleaner? They feel like a great tight seal snapping them together too. Super recommend these products.

Here is the end of the 240z signal harness and the 280z body harness retrofitted with the weather packs and wiring made where the signals work. Doing the same on the headlights and front side marker lights. Doesn't it look so much cleaner? They feel like a great tight seal snapping them together too. Super recommend these products.

EDIT: I got all the front lighting fitted with the weather packs. ;) Now I just need to do the exhaust, seal the fuel cell, install a few parts, register this baby, and enjoy.

turnsignalharnessandbod.jpg

Edited by ModernS30

pretty cool, How much was the GM wiring connector kit? I may need to get some of those at some point.

I paid 50 dollars for my kit plus like an extra $5 for one extra 3 prong connector, I could have just used a 4 prong with a plug in it though. If you would like I can give you the Ebay sellers link, he will put a specific kit together for you by request. He will only be able to sell these until the end of December so I would get them while you can. Super fast shipping, great communication, I was really happy with that purchase.

B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, little update. I have everything for MegaSquirt install, but I am saving it until after Branson Z fest as long as I can keep it running right. The exhaust is all finished up. I just started welding the sheet metal in for the fuel cell about 10 minutes ago. I plan to have that finished up this weekend. Then just final touches and it will be finished. Insure, register, drive. I am planning on making Branson Z fest. I will have picture up of the exhaust and maybe a video hopefully by the end of the week.