HybridZ

LED Lights for my 280z

I have decided I am tired of the old lights going out all of the time and not being all that bright, so I have decided to make my own LED lights for the rear with somewhat of a twist.

I am going to use the brightest LEDs I can buy for a good price and mount them to a mirror plastic plate that I will fit into my original tail light assembly. I plan on using 70 LEDs for the stop and running lamps with the running lamps only powering a few LEDs and the brake turning on all of them. The turn lights will be 60 amber LEDs. The only problem I see is trying to mold my own clear plastic lenses so I will have a more euro style look and the LEDs can be seen when not on. The backup lights will be cool white LEDs with about 12 in each.

Here is the pics of some of the work that has been done. I can say drilling 400 holes for leds sucks and wiring them up sucks even more!

Still working on the rest and hope to have it finished by the end of this week without the clear lenses. They have proven to be difficult to master molding them because the plastic I order I think is to thick for my purpose. I need to find a better frame to hold the plastic in while heating it.

As for the turn signals the twist will be a circuit designed by a freind at work to have the lights light up progressivly from one side to the other in a cheveron formation.

post-3049-12722891877238_thumb.jpg

post-3049-12722892254931_thumb.jpg

post-3049-12722892526398_thumb.jpg

post-3049-12722892788462_thumb.jpg

Edited by nash542001

Here are some more pics of the stop/running light without the covers on because I am waiting on Klearz to modify my existing one to be transparent.

The running light will be LEDs spelling out DAT on the Left and SUN on the right. The brake light will be all of them lit up. I wonder if you can get a ticket for the running lights being too brite. If so I might be in trouble, hopefully the cover will dim them down a bit.

Oh yeah there is also one of the back up light with LEDs and the cover on. It is a world of difference from the old light.

post-3049-12725964997822_thumb.jpg

post-3049-12725967047889_thumb.jpg

post-3049-12725967269351_thumb.jpg

Edited by nash542001

I like were your heads at... I want to do this also. What are you using as a driver? What Watt LEDs are you using?

For the brake/running lights I am using 2.1 volt @ 20ma that is 13,000 mcd. The back up light is 3.2 volt, 23,000mcd @ 20ma. The driver for the signal light is going to be a LM3914 dot/bar display driver circuit running in dot mode with a RC charge and discharge triger.

For the brake/running lights I am using 2.1 volt @ 20ma that is 13,000 mcd. The back up light is 3.2 volt, 23,000mcd @ 20ma. The driver for the signal light is going to be a LM3914 dot/bar display driver circuit running in dot mode with a RC charge and discharge triger.

Nice work! I hope to convert to LEDs in the future as well. Maybe you could write up a how to when you are all finished for those of us less electical savy Z owners

Well I have not finished my lights just yet, but the one of the turn signals is almost complete. Here is a video link of what it is going to look like for the turn signal.

Once complete I will try and write up a basic and easy way of doing this modification, but no promises.

Well I have not finished my lights just yet, but the one of the turn signals is almost complete. Here is a video link of what it is going to look like for the turn signal.

Once complete I will try and write up a basic and easy way of doing this modification, I promise.

dude, this is so cool.

oh, and I fixed your statement...this is what you really meant, right? :D

Edited by VLEE

• 2 months later...

Well the lights are pretty much finished and here is the link to watch the video of the signal light. There is still an issue with the flasher affecting the voltage supply to my circuit which causes the LED intensity to change.

The pictures and video are not the best quality and so they look better in person then in the pictures and the brightness of them prevents me from getting a head on shot, overall I am satisfied with how they look and just need to fix the flasher issue.

post-3049-089656700 1279725286_thumb.jpg

post-3049-035219100 1279725335_thumb.jpg

Edited by nash542001

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skimattybee

the LED tail lights are sick! great work...id be willing to pay someone to make a set of led tail lights for me... if you are interested in making some cash let me know

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the fixed worked. I will be ordering and making some boards for this circuit. Also I am trying to make my own cast lenses like the ones on the car. If I get the process down with no problems I will make some extras to sell at a decent price.

Edited by nash542001